How Long Does It Take to Fall from a Cliff?

• Thread starter reyrey389
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, a boy jumps from rest off a cliff and falls halfway down to the water below in 0.998 seconds. To calculate the total time of his trip from the top to the water, we can solve for the time it took him to fall the second half of the distance, which is approximately 0.41 seconds. Adding this to the initial time of 0.998 seconds, we get a total time of approximately 1.41 seconds. This calculation is supported by the equation for displacement in terms of time, where we can also plug in the times to get the same result. This can also be applied to the general problem of calculating the time it takes to fall a certain distance starting from rest.
reyrey389
This was originally posted in a non-homework forum so it does not use the template.
A boy jumps from rest, straight down from the top of a cliff. He falls halfway down to the water below in 0.998 s. How much time passes during his entire trip from the top down to the water? Ignore air resistance.

Attempt:

t = 0.998 approx 1 sec
vo = 0 m/s (v initial)
g = -9.8 m/s^2

I solved for vf ( v final) using vf = -g * t = -9.8 m/s. This is also the initial velocity of falling the second half.

Now using v_f, v_o, and g, I solved for displacement. using vf^2 - vo^2 = 2a*Delta x

Thus the half the distance would be 4.9 meters. Now I solved for the time to fall the second half of the height using
vo = =-9.8 m/s , a = -9.8, h = 4.9 meters.

-4.9 = - 9.8t - 4.9t^2

t^2 + 2t = 1

t^2 + 2t - 1 = 1 + 1

(t-1)^2 = 2 so t = sqrt(2) - 1 or 0.41 seconds.

For t_total I did 0.41 + 1 second from the given to get 1.41 seconds.I'm not sure if this is correct when I searched on yahoo answers, the answer reported was 1.13, but my work seems to make sense. If anyone can please elaborate, I'd appreciate

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say your answer is correct.

To convince yourself of your answer, solve it a different way. For example, since you know half the distance is 4.9, the total distance is 9.8 m. How long does it take something to fall that distance?

Alternatively, you have the equation for displacement in terms of time:

##s = 0.5at^2##

Why not plug your times into that and see what comes out?

Also, you might like to think about the general problem: If something takes t seconds to fall a distance h, how long does it take to fall 2h? Starting from rest, of course.

it.
Your calculations are correct. The answer reported on Yahoo Answers may be incorrect or a different approach was used to solve the problem. It is always important to double check your work and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem. Good job on using the correct equations and variables to solve the problem. Keep up the good work!

What is simple kinematics?

Simple kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves studying the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

What are the basic equations used in simple kinematics?

The basic equations used in simple kinematics are:

• Position (x) = Initial position (x0) + Velocity (v) * Time (t)
  • Velocity (v) = Initial velocity (v0) + Acceleration (a) * Time (t)
  • Final velocity (v) = Initial velocity (v0) + 2 * Acceleration (a) * Displacement (x)

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving, while velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. In other words, velocity takes into account the direction of an object's motion, while speed does not.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a measure of an object's change in position, taking into account the direction of motion. Distance, on the other hand, is a measure of how far an object has traveled, regardless of the direction of motion.

How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. If an object experiences a constant acceleration, its velocity will change by the same amount every second. This means that the object will either speed up or slow down depending on the direction of the acceleration.