1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple kinematics

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At the airport, persons A and B walk at an average speed of 0.90 ms-1 and 0.80 m s-1 respectively. Person B now walks on a elevator but person A does not. The elevator moves at the speed of 0.50 m s-1. How much faster will person B take to travel 50 m compared to person A ?
    A. 125 s
    B. 44.4 s
    C. 17.1 s
    D. 26.8 s
    E. 77.7 s

2. Relevant equations
    s = vt

3. The attempt at a solution
    On the manual, it is written : New speed of person B = 0.80 + 0.50 = 1.3 m s-1

I find it strange because B walks on elevator. Maybe it means travelator.
    But if it is really elevator, the speed of person B should be 0.5 ms-1 because he can't walk in elevator.

For both cases, there are the answers on the choices. So what is the best interpretation for the question?

*I feel so stupid asking this question...:frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2010 #2
    Maybe they do mean a travelator.
    A person can walk in an elevator. In that case his velocity will be a vector resultant.
    However the vector resultant speed comes out to be 0.9433 m/s which does not match any of the choices.

4. Jan 20, 2010 #3
    Hi aim1732

Yeah actually B can walk in elevator, although it is not common case to be considered. And if B really walks in elevator, I think we still consider the elevator's speed because it is in the same direction as the distance traveled.

Thanks

5. Jan 20, 2010 #4
    Can't say.
    The question says distance of 50m, so why talk about direction in the first place?

6. Jan 20, 2010 #5
    Hi aim

Hm...because I think B can't move in the direction of the resultant velocity. B can only move in the direction of 0.80 ms-1 or the elevator. But I just realized your point of view. You only consider the resultant velocity and the distance that needed to be taken.

Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook