How Do You Calculate Proton's Speed and Kinetic Energy in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the problem involved a proton traveling at an angle with respect to a magnetic field and experiencing a magnetic force. The solution required using equations for speed and kinetic energy, with the correct value for mass leading to the correct answer of 835 electron-volts.
t_n_p
[SOLVED] Simple Kinetic energy problem

Homework Statement

A proton traveling at 23 degrees with respect to the direction of a magnetic field of strength 2.6mT experiences a magnetic force of 6.5*10^-17 N. Calculate a) the proton's speed and b) its kinetic energy in electron-volts

Homework Equations

For part a) I simply used F=qvbsin(theta), I got the correct answer of 400,000m/s
For part b) I used K = 0.5*m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For part b) I plugged in the value of 9.1*10^-31 for m and the value of v I found above(400,000m/s). I return 7.28*10^-20 (assume this in in J?). Upon conversion to eV I find a measly 0.45eV. (The answer is 835ev!)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a proton, not an electron.

I had a feeling this might be it. I assumed charge of proton and electron is the same, got the right answer, so then I proceeded to assume mass was the same too.

Now if I plug in 1.67262158 × 10-27 instead, I get 835eV!

Thanks

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

What are some examples of kinetic energy?

Examples of kinetic energy include a moving car, a person running, a ball rolling down a hill, and wind blowing through trees.

How is kinetic energy related to potential energy?

Kinetic energy and potential energy are closely related, as potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, a ball at the top of a hill has potential energy due to its position and when it rolls down, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.

Why is kinetic energy important in everyday life?

Kinetic energy is important in everyday life as it is what allows objects to move and perform tasks. It is also a key concept in physics and understanding kinetic energy can help us understand how the world around us works.