How is the force in the Y direction developed in a simple laminar flow?

In summary, the viscosity of a non-compressible fluid is determined by the stress in the x direction. If there is no vertical velocity, then Sxy = Syx.
TFH
RE: non-compressible, laminar flow, Newtonain fluid.

Viscosity is often defined by looking at a fluid between two plates with the upper plate moving at a small velocity relative to the lower plate. The plate moves in the x direction and a velocity gradiant is created. Viscosity is then defined as:

Fx/Axz= Sxy = mu dVx/dy.

Fx = force between adjaycent fluid layers in the x direction.
Axz = area between the fluid layers
Sxy = stress in the direction of the force (x) where y is the direction of the normal to the area.
mu = viscosity
dVx/dy = Velocity gradient in the y direction.

This is the standard way texts define viscosity (unless I've messed it up!).

Next this idea is generalized to multiple dimensions and the stress tensor is defined. This is where I need help. It is argued that for non rotating fluids that the stress tensor must be symmetric. In particular Sxy = Syx. I see this in one sense. Usually this idea is arrived at by noting that a small element would develop an infinite torque or moment if it was not symmetric...okay good. BUT:

Finally my problem: In the simple example, how does a force in the Y direction develop. How does a normal force to the direction of fluid flow, Fy, exist. By definition of a fluid, if Fy exists, the fluid must shear...Any help or reference would be most appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
TFH said:
This is the standard way texts define viscosity (unless I've messed it up!).

That is not the definition of viscosity. And if it is, it is a naive one. Viscosity comes from the molecular level analysis in liquids, and from rotational and vibrational non equilibrium in gases.

Next this idea is generalized to multiple dimensions and the stress tensor is defined. This is where I need help. It is argued that for non rotating fluids that the stress tensor must be symmetric.

The stress tensor is symmetric always, despites it is rotating or not. The symmetry of the stress tensor lies on the fact that each fluid particle is in rotational dynamic equilibrium .

Finally my problem: In the simple example, how does a force in the Y direction develop. How does a normal force to the direction of fluid flow, Fy, exist. By definition of a fluid, if Fy exists, the fluid must shear...Any help or reference would be most appreciated.

I don't see your point. In your problem Fy=0, because there is no vertical velocity. You don't have any normal stress normal to the xz plane.

Clausius2 thanks very much for your reply.

Clausius2 said:
That is not the definition of viscosity. And if it is, it is a naive one. Viscosity comes from the molecular level analysis in liquids, and from rotational and vibrational non equilibrium in gases.

Okay. I just used something basic provided by Bird, Stewart, and LIghtfoot Transport Phenomena and Lectures on Physics by Fynman et. al.

The stress tensor is symmetric always, despites it is rotating or not. The symmetry of the stress tensor lies on the fact that each fluid particle is in rotational dynamic equilibrium .

Okay.

I don't see your point. In your problem Fy=0, because there is no vertical velocity. You don't have any normal stress normal to the xz plane.

My difficutly arises exactly because I too think Fy = 0. However if it does, then I don't see how Sxy = Syx because Syx = 0. And
Sxy = mu dVx/dy.

I don't understand what you mean. Here Sxy is NOT zero.

1. What is simple laminar flow stress?

Simple laminar flow stress is a measure of the force per unit area that is exerted on a fluid as it flows through a pipe or channel in a smooth, consistent manner. It is a type of stress that occurs in a fluid when it is flowing at a constant velocity and in a straight line.

2. How is simple laminar flow stress calculated?

Simple laminar flow stress can be calculated using the formula τ = μ(dv/dy), where τ is the stress, μ is the viscosity of the fluid, and (dv/dy) is the velocity gradient. This formula is known as Newton's law of viscosity.

3. What factors affect simple laminar flow stress?

The viscosity of the fluid, the velocity of the flow, and the size and shape of the channel or pipe are all factors that can affect simple laminar flow stress. Additionally, the surface roughness of the channel walls and the temperature and pressure of the fluid can also have an impact on the stress.

4. Why is simple laminar flow stress important in fluid mechanics?

Simple laminar flow stress is important in fluid mechanics because it helps us understand how fluids behave in different situations. It can also be used to design and predict the performance of various systems, such as pipes and pumps, and to optimize processes in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.

5. How does simple laminar flow stress differ from turbulent flow stress?

Simple laminar flow stress occurs in a smooth, orderly manner, while turbulent flow stress occurs in a chaotic, unpredictable manner. Simple laminar flow stress is also proportional to the velocity gradient, while turbulent flow stress is proportional to the square of the velocity. Additionally, turbulent flow stress is typically higher than simple laminar flow stress due to the turbulent eddies and swirls present in the flow.