Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple LaTeX question

1. Apr 20, 2010 #1
    So, I just started using LaTeX but can't get it to display any of my work out. How do I do this?

I downloaded LyX and TeXworks, there's a bunch of different downloads. I was a little confused on which one to pick. Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No idea. But I am more than sure that even people that may know something won't be able to help as long as you will not state at least OS that you use.

4. Apr 20, 2010 #3
    Whoops. =) Windows.

5. Apr 20, 2010 #4
    I'm not an expert on the various packages available. However, I had good luck with MikTeX. It was available on Mac and Windows and had a simple to use front end window with editors and various viewers.

6. Apr 20, 2010 #5

minger

Science Advisor

For ease of viewing on your machine, you'll need something like pdflatex, which can create a pdf file from your latex file. As elect_eng said, I personally use Miktex as the backend for my LEd install. From there, I have a nice button at the top, which will compile the document and output to pdf.

Have you been able to properly install? What exact problem are you having?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook