LaTeX Troubleshooting: How to Display Work Out

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter DrummingAtom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to display their work using LaTeX and asking for help. They mention using LyX and TeXworks but are unsure which one to use. They also mention being on a Windows operating system. Another person suggests using MikTeX and pdflatex for ease of viewing and suggests checking their installation.
DrummingAtom
So, I just started using LaTeX but can't get it to display any of my work out. How do I do this?

I downloaded LyX and TeXworks, there's a bunch of different downloads. I was a little confused on which one to pick. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
No idea. But I am more than sure that even people that may know something won't be able to help as long as you will not state at least OS that you use.

Whoops. =) Windows.

DrummingAtom said:
Whoops. =) Windows.

I'm not an expert on the various packages available. However, I had good luck with MikTeX. It was available on Mac and Windows and had a simple to use front end window with editors and various viewers.

For ease of viewing on your machine, you'll need something like pdflatex, which can create a pdf file from your latex file. As elect_eng said, I personally use Miktex as the backend for my LEd install. From there, I have a nice button at the top, which will compile the document and output to pdf.

Have you been able to properly install? What exact problem are you having?

1. Why is my LaTeX code not displaying my work out correctly?

There could be several reasons for this. One common issue is that your code may have errors or typos, which can cause the output to be incorrect. Make sure to carefully check your code for any mistakes. Another possibility is that your document class or package settings are not compatible with the code you are using. Refer to the documentation of the document class or packages for more information.

2. How can I troubleshoot when my equations are not rendering properly?

If your equations are not displaying correctly, double check that you have included all necessary packages and that your syntax is correct. Also, make sure that your document class supports math equations. If the issue persists, you can try using a different LaTeX editor or compiler, as well as updating your packages and software to the latest versions.

3. What should I do if my figures or tables are not appearing in the output?

First, check that you have included the appropriate packages for figures and tables in your document. Then, ensure that your code for inserting the figures and tables is correct and that the file paths are accurate. If the issue persists, try compiling your document with a different LaTeX compiler or editor.

4. Why is my bibliography not showing up in the final output?

This could be due to incorrect citation formatting or missing citation keys in your document. Check that you have used the correct citation commands and that the citation keys match the entries in your bibliography file. Additionally, ensure that you have included the necessary packages for bibliographies in your document.

5. How can I fix alignment issues in my document?

If your text or equations are not aligned properly, make sure that you have used the correct alignment commands (\centering, \flushleft, \flushright) and that you have not accidentally used spaces or tabs to align your content. You can also try using the \hspace{} command to manually adjust the spacing. If the issue persists, check that your document class and packages are compatible with your alignment commands.