Simple lie algebra that holds just four generators?

In summary, the problem of finding a simple Lie algebra with only four generators has proven to be difficult. Weinberg's QFT books state that there is no simple Lie algebra with four generators, but it is not clear how to approach this problem. Various strategies, such as using the semidirect product theorem or proving the existence of a one-dimensional ideal, have been suggested but none have been successful. The solution to this problem remains an open question.
PhysSub
Homework Statement
Show that there is no simple lie algebra with just four generators.
Relevant Equations
bracket product
I’m reading Weinberg’s QFT books, and stacking how to solve problem 15.4.
Weinberg says there is no simple lie algebra with just four generators, but I have no idea how to approach this problem. If the number of generators are only one or two, it can easy to say there is not such a simple lie algebra because we can’t take the relevant structure constant. I tried to apply the same discussion to four or five generators, but I think it does not work.
Does anyone know more about this problem? We would appreciate any references or tips.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution to this question strongly depends on which results you want to use. E.g. the smallest simple Lie algebra is three-dimensional. Then every Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}## can be written as the semidirect product of a semisimple subalgebra ##\mathfrak{h}\leq \mathfrak{g}## and its radical ##\mathfrak{R}\trianglelefteq \mathfrak{g}## which is a solvable ideal, i.e.
$$
\mathfrak{g}= \mathfrak{h} \ltimes \mathfrak{R}
$$
A four-dimensional Lie algebra is therefore solvable or has a one-dimensional radical. In both cases, there is a one-dimensional ideal. That is what we know because the result is true. We could use this for an indirect proof: Given a four-dimensional Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{g}##. If we now show that it contains a one-dimensional ideal (and we already know that there is one), then it cannot be simple.

Another idea is: If ##\mathfrak{g}## is a four-dimensional simple Lie algebra, then it contains a copy of ##\mathfrak{sl}(2)## as subalgebra and we can write ##\mathfrak{g}=\mathfrak{sl}(2) + \mathbb{F}\cdot Z## as a sum of vectorspaces. Both are already subalgebras. If ##[\mathfrak{sl}(2),Z]=0## then ##Z\in \mathfrak{Z(g)}## is a central element and we are done. So all we have to do is to show that ##Z## can be chosen such that ##\mathbb{F}Z## is a one-dimensional ##\mathfrak{g}-##module, an ideal. (In this case it will be the radical and ##\mathfrak{g}## could not be simple.) I guess that ##[\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{g}]=\mathfrak{g}## is helpful here.

In short: We have to show that every four-dimensional Lie algebra is either solvable or has a one-dimensional center.

I think this is a plan:

Let ##\mathfrak{g}## be simple and four-dimensional. Then ##\mathfrak{g}=\mathfrak{sl}(2)\oplus \mathbb{F}Z## as a sum of subalgebras. Thus
$$
\mathfrak{sl}(2)\oplus \mathbb{F}Z=\mathfrak{g}=[\mathfrak{g},\mathfrak{g}]=[\mathfrak{sl}(2)\oplus \mathbb{F}Z,\mathfrak{sl}(2)\oplus \mathbb{F}Z=[\mathfrak{sl}(2),\mathfrak{sl}(2)]+[\mathfrak{sl}(2),\mathbb{F}Z]=\mathfrak{sl}(2)+[\mathfrak{sl}(2),\mathbb{F}Z]
$$
and ##Z## can be chosen such that ##Z\in [\mathfrak{sl}(2),\mathbb{F}Z]##. Therefore ##\mathbb{F}Z## is a one-dimensional ##\mathfrak{sl}(2)##-module, i.e. a one-dimensional ideal of ##\mathfrak{g}##, which is impossible if ##\mathfrak{g}## is simple.

1. What is a simple lie algebra?

A simple lie algebra is a type of mathematical structure that consists of a vector space and a binary operation called the Lie bracket. It is used to study the properties of continuous symmetry in mathematical objects such as groups and manifolds.

2. How many generators does a simple lie algebra with just four generators have?

A simple lie algebra with just four generators has exactly four generators. This is because the number of generators in a simple lie algebra is equal to its dimension.

3. What are the properties of a simple lie algebra with four generators?

A simple lie algebra with four generators has the following properties: it is non-abelian, meaning that the order of the operations matters; it is semi-simple, meaning that it has no non-trivial ideals; and it is compact, meaning that it has a finite dimension and is closed under the operations of addition and multiplication.

4. What are some examples of simple lie algebras with four generators?

Some examples of simple lie algebras with four generators include the special linear algebra sl(2,C), the orthogonal algebra so(4), and the symplectic algebra sp(2,C). These are all classified as simple lie algebras of rank 2.

5. What are the applications of simple lie algebras with four generators?

Simple lie algebras with four generators have a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics. They are used in the study of symmetry in quantum mechanics, in the classification of compact groups, and in the theory of Lie groups and Lie algebras. They also have applications in theoretical physics, such as in the study of gauge theories and string theory.