Simple lift/drag measurements in a wind tunnel

In summary, you can measure lift and drag in a low-speed wind tunnel by using a NACA 0012 airfoil, using force balance techniques, and using a shop vacuum to blow air over the top of the rear diffuser.
09matthew
Hi everyone,

I will be conducting wind tunnel tests of a NACA 0012 airfoil to obtain values of lift and drag in a low-speed wind tunnel (approx M = 0.1). I am looking for a really simple way of measuring these forces. Does anyone know of ways to achieve this?

I am aware of force balance techniques but I do not really know how to set it up and there is no experience of this at my school.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
A diffuser pump is really just a small mini wing (large radius in front small radius on back side. Its purpose was to direct the flow of under car air to blend in and combine with the air coming off the lower wing of the dual rear wing. The diffuser pump is attached at the rear most diffuser, slightly elevated. The wing attack angle is adjustable. Now the question is how do you get best performance out of it when you are garaged in acorn field in west Ohio?
Any good engineering guy knows you have to identify the problem. Brain storm and make a plan. execute it . follow up with feed back and repeat above til it hurts or is fixed. We needed a force to replicate wind over the car surface. Shop vacuums can blow as well as suck so we got a couple of them. Next, we needed several means to determine the best flow. So we made a manometer. A long piece of vinyl tubing placed on a clip board that had graph paper as a tow axis scale was rigged up. we filled it with a small amount of Scope mouth wash to make it more visible. one tube ended in a 90 degree bend and left open to the atmosphere the other end was to be placed in the flow stream to measure air speed. We sent the fat neighbor boy to the carry out for a much needed six pack and while he drove we rode along with the clip board and tune duct taper to the top of rear view side mirror. We penciled a line on the graph paper every 10 MPH. It worked pretty good. More to come on this later.

Attachments

• diffpump 1.jpg
    diffpump 1.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
We rigged up a shop vacuum cleaners to blow air over the top of the rear diffuser and under it. A diffuser is an air foil device covering the bottom side of the race car. It is curved at the rear so the air exiting under the car would take an upward path and exit pointed at an upward angle. This created down force. Bernoulli effect. By taping tufts of yarn at various points on the underside and top side of the diffuser and lower wind element we could see the flow without the diffuser pump the after the diffuser pump and finally the flow at best attack angle of the little mini wing. We made a height stand and taped yarn tufts every 3 inches so we could see the flow right off the lower rear wing and a foot from the rear wing. We did the same at exit points on the car.We needed to back up the manometer readings with some other measurable way to get a solid repeatable number. A metal plate and dial indicator on the magnetic stand would be the gage and a thin piece of aluminum sheet with a duct tape hinge would prove quite repeatable when placed in the wind stream. As we dialed in the proper attack angle the reading dropped on the under diffuser flow and the stream blended in with the air coming off the top of the diffuser.

Attachments

• air pressure gage .jpg
    air pressure gage .jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 366
Likes jim hardy
So the photos show the good flow as noted by the number of tufts streaming on the height stand furthest from the wing. Note the number of tufts not floating in air. Only two are really flying straight out.
Then note the 8 tufts flying in the air stream on the final best flow pic. We got the tow streams blending and combining to reduce drag and increase down force.
Bottom line is that you can do a lot with what you got on hand ifin you think about it.
good flow.jpg
best flow off pump.jpg

Attachments

• good flow.jpg
    good flow.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 623
  • best flow off pump.jpg
    best flow off pump.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 654
Likes jim hardy and anorlunda
09matthew said:
Hi everyone,

I will be conducting wind tunnel tests of a NACA 0012 airfoil to obtain values of lift and drag in a low-speed wind tunnel (approx M = 0.1). I am looking for a really simple way of measuring these forces. Does anyone know of ways to achieve this?

I am aware of force balance techniques but I do not really know how to set it up and there is no experience of this at my school.

Thank you!

Without a force balance handy, you have some other options, but it would be helpful to know what your school has available already. Doing things like this isn't generally cheap.

What is a wind tunnel?

A wind tunnel is a specialized facility used for studying the effects of air flow on objects. It consists of a long tube with powerful fans that generate air flow, allowing scientists to simulate different wind conditions.

How are lift and drag measured in a wind tunnel?

Lift and drag are measured using specialized instruments such as force balances, pressure sensors, and flow visualization techniques. These instruments measure the forces acting on the object and the changes in air pressure around it.

What is the purpose of measuring lift and drag in a wind tunnel?

The main purpose of measuring lift and drag in a wind tunnel is to understand the aerodynamic performance of an object. This information is crucial for designing and improving various products such as airplanes, cars, and buildings.

What factors can affect lift and drag measurements in a wind tunnel?

There are several factors that can affect lift and drag measurements in a wind tunnel, including the shape and size of the object, the speed and direction of the air flow, and the accuracy of the instruments used. Proper calibration and control of these factors is essential for accurate measurements.

What are some real-world applications of lift and drag measurements in a wind tunnel?

Lift and drag measurements in a wind tunnel have numerous real-world applications, including aircraft design, sports equipment development, and wind turbine design. These measurements also play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the effects of air flow on structures, such as bridges and buildings.