1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Limit Problem

1. Jun 21, 2006 #1

es

I tutor high school students in Calc and the other day I came across this problem.

Limit of (1-Sqrt(x-2))/(x-3) as x->3

I tried coaching the student on how to simplify the expression and in the end I just showed him this substitution.

Let u=Sqrt(x-2)

Then

(1-Sqrt(x-2))/(x-3) = (1-u)/(u^2-1)

And the Limit becomes

Limit of (1-u)/(u^2-1)=-1/(u+1) as u->1 which is -1/2

He looked at me like I had just done some black magic. I explained substitution to him and why it worked, showed him a couple of other simple examples, and confirmed the answer numerically (like they do in basic calc books when the limit concept is first presented). I still don't think he is 100% convinced because they had not covered this in his class yet which leads to my question.

Can the original problem be solved without substitution?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Well, you might do it this way:
    [tex]\frac{(1-\sqrt{x-2})}{x-3}=\frac{(1-\sqrt{x-2})}{x-3}*1=\frac{(1-\sqrt{x-2})}{x-3}*\frac{(1+\sqrt{x-2})}{(1+\sqrt{x-2})}=\frac{3-x}{(1+\sqrt{x-2})*(x-3)}=-\frac{1}{(1+\sqrt{x-2})}[/tex]
    And so on..

4. Jun 21, 2006 #3
    Multiplying by the conjugate would do the trick, but personally, I feel the easiest way is L'Hospital's rule .

5. Jun 22, 2006 #4

es

Yipe. For some reason I though 1-x would be the numerator. Boy do I feel sheepish. :) Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?