Solving Simple Limit Problem Without Substitution

• Thread starter es
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation was about solving the limit of (1-Sqrt(x-2))/(x-3) as x->3 without using substitution. The tutor suggested using the conjugate and L'Hospital's rule as alternative methods.
es
I tutor high school students in Calc and the other day I came across this problem.

Limit of (1-Sqrt(x-2))/(x-3) as x->3

I tried coaching the student on how to simplify the expression and in the end I just showed him this substitution.

Let u=Sqrt(x-2)

Then

(1-Sqrt(x-2))/(x-3) = (1-u)/(u^2-1)

And the Limit becomes

Limit of (1-u)/(u^2-1)=-1/(u+1) as u->1 which is -1/2

He looked at me like I had just done some black magic. I explained substitution to him and why it worked, showed him a couple of other simple examples, and confirmed the answer numerically (like they do in basic calc books when the limit concept is first presented). I still don't think he is 100% convinced because they had not covered this in his class yet which leads to my question.

Can the original problem be solved without substitution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you might do it this way:
[tex]\frac{(1-\sqrt{x-2})}{x-3}=\frac{(1-\sqrt{x-2})}{x-3}*1=\frac{(1-\sqrt{x-2})}{x-3}*\frac{(1+\sqrt{x-2})}{(1+\sqrt{x-2})}=\frac{3-x}{(1+\sqrt{x-2})*(x-3)}=-\frac{1}{(1+\sqrt{x-2})}[/tex]
And so on..

Multiplying by the conjugate would do the trick, but personally, I feel the easiest way is L'Hospital's rule .

Yipe. For some reason I though 1-x would be the numerator. Boy do I feel sheepish. :) Thanks for the help!

What is a limit problem?

A limit problem in mathematics is a type of problem that involves finding the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point.

Why is substitution not always the best method for solving limit problems?

Substitution involves directly plugging in the input value into the function to find the limit. However, this method may not work for certain types of functions or for more complicated limit problems. In these cases, alternative methods such as factoring, rationalizing, or using L'Hopital's rule may be more effective.

How can I solve simple limit problems without substitution?

There are several methods that can be used to solve limit problems without substitution. These include factoring, rationalizing, using L'Hopital's rule, and using basic limit rules such as the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules. It is important to identify the type of function and choose the most appropriate method for solving the specific problem.

When should I use L'Hopital's rule to solve a limit problem?

L'Hopital's rule is typically used when the limit involves an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. This rule states that if the limit of the quotient of two functions is an indeterminate form, then the limit of the original functions is equal to the limit of the quotient of their derivatives.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving simple limit problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving limit problems include forgetting to check for indeterminate forms, applying the wrong limit rule, or making arithmetic errors. It is also important to evaluate the limit from both the left and right sides, especially when dealing with functions that have discontinuities or asymptotes.