Proof of Simple Limit: f(x)≤g(x) for all x

In summary, the conversation is about a problem from Spivak Calculus book, where it is stated that if f(x) is less than or equal to g(x) for all values of x, then the limit of f(x) is less than or equal to the limit of g(x). The person is struggling to prove this using a function and becomes stuck when trying to relate the limit of the function to zero. They suggest using a trick that states if x is nonnegative and every nonnegative number is at least as large as x, then x is zero. They encourage the reader to try proving this statement and add it to their toolbox.
dylanm
Hi folks. I'm a longtime lurker who is starting to explore proof-based mathematics, and I'm having trouble figuring out what I can and cannot do in a problem. I'm stuck on this simple problem from the wonderful Spivak Calculus book:

If [tex]f(x)\le g(x) \forall x[/tex], then [tex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)\le\lim_{x\to a}g(x)[/tex]

Intuitively, this is obvious. But when I fiddle with it, taking [tex]g(x)-f(x)\ge0[/tex] as my function and proving that the limit of this function, [tex]c=\lim_{x\to a}g(x)-\lim_{x\to a}f(x)[/tex], is [tex]\ge0[/tex], I become stuck. No amount of algebra seems to give me a clean relation between zero and c. I know that one can say that c can be made arbitrarily close to a value of a function that must be [tex]\ge0[/tex], but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use this sort of thinking in a chapter (5) that has just introduced the concept of a limit.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you allowed to use that the difference of the limits is the limit of the difference? Even if not, it's not too difficult to prove and then use in the problem.

Here's an important trick that you might find useful.

[tex](\forall \epsilon \geq 0: 0 \leq x \leq \epsilon) \implies x = 0[/tex]

To say it differently, if x is nonnegative, and every nonnegative number is at least as large as x, then x is zero.

Try proving this statement. Once you've accomplished that, add it to your toolbox, because it is an often useful little trick.

1. What is the definition of a simple limit in mathematics?

A simple limit refers to the value that a function approaches as its input variable approaches a specific value. It is denoted by the notation lim f(x) and is used to describe the behavior of a function near a particular point.

2. How can we prove that f(x)≤g(x) for all x using simple limit?

To prove that f(x)≤g(x) for all x, we can start by assuming that there exists an x for which f(x)>g(x). Then, we can use the definition of a simple limit to show that there exists a value of x for which f(x)

3. Can we use the concept of simple limit to compare two functions with different domains?

Yes, the concept of simple limit can be used to compare two functions with different domains. As long as the functions have the same limit at the point of interest, we can use the definition of a simple limit to prove that one function is always greater than or equal to the other.

4. Is it possible to have a simple limit at a point where the function is not defined?

No, it is not possible to have a simple limit at a point where the function is not defined. The definition of a simple limit requires the function to be defined and continuous at the point of interest.

5. Can we use the concept of simple limit to prove inequalities for functions with multiple variables?

Yes, the concept of simple limit can be extended to prove inequalities for functions with multiple variables. This is known as multivariable simple limit and involves considering the limit of the function as the variables approach a specific point in a specific direction.