1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple limit proof

1. Oct 1, 2005 #1
    Hi folks. I'm a longtime lurker who is starting to explore proof-based mathematics, and I'm having trouble figuring out what I can and cannot do in a problem. I'm stuck on this simple problem from the wonderful Spivak Calculus book:

If [tex]f(x)\le g(x) \forall x[/tex], then [tex]\lim_{x\to a}f(x)\le\lim_{x\to a}g(x)[/tex]

Intuitively, this is obvious. But when I fiddle with it, taking [tex]g(x)-f(x)\ge0[/tex] as my function and proving that the limit of this function, [tex]c=\lim_{x\to a}g(x)-\lim_{x\to a}f(x)[/tex], is [tex]\ge0[/tex], I become stuck. No amount of algebra seems to give me a clean relation between zero and c. I know that one can say that c can be made arbitrarily close to a value of a function that must be [tex]\ge0[/tex], but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use this sort of thinking in a chapter (5) that has just introduced the concept of a limit.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2005 #2

LeonhardEuler

Gold Member

Are you allowed to use that the difference of the limits is the limit of the difference? Even if not, it's not too difficult to prove and then use in the problem.

4. Oct 1, 2005 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's an important trick that you might find useful.

[tex](\forall \epsilon \geq 0: 0 \leq x \leq \epsilon) \implies x = 0[/tex]

To say it differently, if x is nonnegative, and every nonnegative number is at least as large as x, then x is zero.

Try proving this statement. Once you've accomplished that, add it to your toolbox, because it is an often useful little trick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?