Find the Limit as x Approaches Infinity: Simple Conjugate Method Explanation

• Thread starter Nothing000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, we can find the limit as x approaches infinity of sqrt(x)-sqrt(x^2-1) by using the conjugate method and dividing both the numerator and denominator by the highest power of x on the bottom, which is 1. This results in a limit of -infinity. The mistake in the original calculation was using the wrong sign in the conjugate expression.
Nothing000
I am trying to find the limit as x aproaches infinity to this expression:
sqrt(x)-sqrt(x^2 -1)
I am using the conjugate method by multiplying the expresion by [sqrt(x)-sqrt(x^2 -1)/sqrt(x)-sqrt(x^2 -1)], and then dividing each term by the highest degree in the denominator which is 1/2. I am coming up with the limit as 0/1, or simply zero. But my calculator is coming up with -infinity. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The conjugate would be of opposite sign, so use

[sqrt(x)+sqrt(x^2 -1)/sqrt(x)+sqrt(x^2 -1)]

limit at infinity

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x^2 -1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \left( \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x^2 -1} \right) \frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x^2 -1}}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x^2 -1}} = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x-\left( x^2 -1\right)}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x^2 -1}}[/tex]

the highest power of x on both top and bottom is 1 (since for x>0 [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=x[/tex],) so

[tex]= \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x-x^2 +1}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x^2 -1}}\left( \frac{\frac{1}{x}}{\frac{1}{x}}\right) = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1-x +\frac{1}{x}}{\sqrt{\frac{x}{x^2}}+\sqrt{\frac{x^2 -1}{x^2}}} =\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{1-x +\frac{1}{x}}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{x}}+\sqrt{1-\frac{1}{x^2}}} =\frac{1-\infty +0}{\sqrt{0}+\sqrt{1-0}} = -\infty[/tex]

Last edited:
benorin said:
The conjugate would be of opposite sign, so use
[sqrt(x)+sqrt(x^2 -1)/sqrt(x)+sqrt(x^2 -1)]
That is what I was using. I just wrote the wrong sign in this thread. Sorry.:blushing: :redface:

benorin said:
[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x^2 -1} = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \left( \sqrt{x}-\sqrt{x^2 -1} \right) \frac{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x^2 -1}}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x^2 -1}} = \lim_{x\rightarrow\infty} \frac{x-\left( x^2 -1\right)}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x^2 -1}}

[/tex]
I don't understand what you did benorin. I get you up to this point, but from here I thought that you had to divide everything by the largest power in the denominator, and that is 1/2.

What do you mean that the highest power in the top and bottom is one? It looks like the highest power in the numerator is 2 to me. Do you mean that the highest power that is simultaniously in the top and bottom is one? If so, where do you see a power of one in the denominator. Am i supposed to ignor the square root and look at the value within the square root funcion or something like that?

You're right, it's the highest power on the bottom: the highest power of x on bottom is 1, since [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=x[/tex], (for x>0 to avoid to absolute value) so divide numerator and denominator by x.

Ah geez... It is always those stupid little things that get you. Thanks a bunch!

What is the "Find the Limit as x Approaches Infinity" problem?

The "Find the Limit as x Approaches Infinity" problem is a calculus problem that involves determining the value that a function approaches as its input (x) approaches infinity.

Why is the Simple Conjugate Method used to solve this problem?

The Simple Conjugate Method is used to solve this problem because it allows for the cancellation of terms that would otherwise result in an indeterminate form, making it easier to evaluate the limit.

What are the steps for using the Simple Conjugate Method?

The steps for using the Simple Conjugate Method are as follows:

1. Identify the term with the highest degree in the numerator and denominator of the function.
  2. Multiply the numerator and denominator by the conjugate of the identified term.
  3. Simplify the resulting expression by using the distributive property and combining like terms.
  4. Take the limit as x approaches infinity of the simplified expression to determine the value of the limit.

Can the Simple Conjugate Method be used for all "Find the Limit as x Approaches Infinity" problems?

No, the Simple Conjugate Method can only be used for certain types of functions, such as rational functions with a single variable in the denominator and polynomials.

Are there any other methods for solving "Find the Limit as x Approaches Infinity" problems?

Yes, there are other methods such as the L'Hopital's rule, the Squeeze Theorem, and the Taylor Series method. The method used depends on the specific function and its properties.