Understanding the Limit of x * cot(x) as x Approaches 0: Explained and Solved

• Thread starter uman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the correct way to do this problem is to use L'Hospital's rule for x/tan(x) goes to 1/(secx)^2.
uman
Hi all. I encountered the following problem:

lim x->0 x * cot(x). My calculator gives the value of 1 for this limit, which can be corroborated by looking at the graph of y = x * cot(x).

However, I reason that it should be zero, because:

lim x->0 x * cot(x) = (lim x->0 x) * (lim x->0 cot(x))
= 0 * lim x->0 cot(x)
= 0 (because anything multiplied by zero is zero.)

Clearly, my reasoning is flawed. What is wrong with it? And what is the correct way to do this problem?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
uman said:

In general, [tex]\lim_{x\to a} f(a)g(a) \neq (\lim_{x\to a} f(a)) (\lim_{x\to a} g(a))[/tex]

For example, as x approaches zero, (x/x) approaches 1. If you split it like you did, we get zero times infinity. Clearly "anything multiplied by zero is zero." does not hold.

it's as Gib Z says, but just so you are clear, lim fg = limf limg IF limf and limg both exist, and the same goes for sums, lim(f + g) = limf + limg if both limf and limg exist, this is a common mistake. so think about this so you don't make it again

Last edited:
uman said:
Hi all. I encountered the following problem:

lim x->0 x * cot(x). My calculator gives the value of 1 for this limit, which can be corroborated by looking at the graph of y = x * cot(x).

However, I reason that it should be zero, because:

= 0 * lim x->0 cot(x)
= 0 (because anything multiplied by zero is zero.)
That statement is wrong: 0 multiplied by [itex]\infty[/itex] is not 0! It is correct that 0 multiplied by any real number is 0 but that limit is not a real number. The others said that "lim x->0 cot(x)" does not exist which is better wording for the same thing.

Clearly, my reasoning is flawed. What is wrong with it? And what is the correct way to do this problem?

Thank you.

cot(x)= cos(x)/sin(x). x cot(x)= x cos(x)/sin(x)= (x/sin(x))(cos(x)). It is proved in Calculus that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} sin(x)/x= lim_{x\rightarrow 0}x/sin(x)= 1[/itex]. Since cos(x) is continuous and cos(0)= 1, the limit of x cot(x)= 1.

You can use L'Hospital's rule for x/tan(x) goes to 1/(secx)^2 upon derivation top and bottom, which goes to 1 as x goes to 0.

Last edited:
Thanks a million, both of you!

1. What is a simple limit question?

A simple limit question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the value of a variable as it approaches a certain value or infinite. It is commonly used in calculus and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of functions.

2. How do you solve a simple limit question?

To solve a simple limit question, you can use various methods such as direct substitution, factoring, or applying limit laws. It is important to first identify the type of limit question and then use the appropriate method to solve it.

3. What types of limits can be evaluated?

There are three types of limits that can be evaluated: finite limits, infinite limits, and limits at infinity. Finite limits have a specific value as the variable approaches a certain value, while infinite limits do not have a specific value and can be positive or negative infinity. Limits at infinity are evaluated when the variable approaches infinity or negative infinity.

4. Why are simple limit questions important in science?

Simple limit questions are important in science because they help us understand the behavior of functions and their relationship to real-world phenomena. They are commonly used in physics, chemistry, and other scientific fields to model and predict the behavior of systems.

5. Can you give an example of a simple limit question?

One example of a simple limit question is finding the limit of a function f(x) = x^2 as x approaches 3. This can be solved by plugging in x = 3 into the function, which gives us a limit of 9. Another example is finding the limit of f(x) = (x-2)/(x+1) as x approaches -1, which can be solved using the limit laws to get a limit of -3.