Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple limit question

1. Dec 12, 2004 #1

mad

Hello, I tried doing this limit problem:

lim (sinx)/x^3
    x-->0

here's what I did:

(lim sinx)/(lim x^3)

which should give something like 0,000000000...1 / 0,00000000001
    since lim sinx (x->0) = 0 and lim x^3 = 0 too. When I make the graphic in maple, the answer is +infintiy, and the answer in my book too. Could someone clarify this for me plwase
    thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2004 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Do you know L'Hospital?

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x^3} [/tex]

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\cos x}{3x^2} = \frac{1}{0} = \infty[/tex]

Alternatively you could use the fact that

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1 [/tex]

So we rewrite the first expression to

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} \frac{1}{x^2} [/tex]

Applying limit laws:

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{x^2} [/tex]

[tex] 1 \cdot \frac{1}{0} = \infty [/tex]

Note: when you try to calculate the limit, you should try to get it without making a indeterminate form such as the one you got ([itex] \frac{0}{0} [/itex]).

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  4. Dec 12, 2004 #3

mad

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it :)
    What do you mean by L'hospital? In french we say L'hopital ;).. if its a theorem we haven't seen it yet.
    thanks again

5. Dec 12, 2004 #4
    He means L'Hopital's rule. Mathworld can't seem to spell hopital :/, but read their page on L'Hopital's rule.

6. Dec 12, 2004 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Sorry, my native language is spanish :smile:, and i was taught L'Hospital like that, it appears like that on our books in spanish, and in the english books too, i've seen it too as L'Hospitel, oh well :smile:

7. Dec 12, 2004 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

mad: The name of the theorem does not refer to an actual "hôpital" but as a dude whose last name was Guillaume François Antoine de L'Hospital (he was a Marquis in France I think).

Also, be careful while using those properties of the limit such as the one Cyclovenom used, that is, since

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} = 1 [/tex]

and

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{x^2} = +\infty[/tex]

therefor

[tex] \lim_{x \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin x}{x} \frac{1}{x^2} = +\infty[/tex]

You have to watch out for the cases where the limits you "separated" have indeterminate forms (there are 7 of them). When you have a quotient, or product, or sum of limits that have this form, you cannot conclude to the value of limit. (as much as one would be tempted to conclude that [itex]\infty - \infty = 0[/itex] for exemple, we can not.)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  8. Dec 12, 2004 #7
    This page explains everything.

9. Dec 12, 2004 #8

mad

Thanks a lot guys!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook