1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple limit (verification)

1. Sep 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1z6uzp1.png

2. Relevant equations

N/A (L'Hospital (maybe)??

3. The attempt at a solution

so this is what i tried,
    209hzc1.jpg

since i got infinity - infininty, i tried to convert to a fraction then went on from there to get 2

but using wolfram it gave me -2, mind that it used l'hoapital after converting to a fraction, i didn't find it necessary to apply L'H, since i simplified and didn't get an intermidate form.

wolfram:: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=lim%20x-%3E%20-infinity%20%28sqrt%28%28x^2%29%2B2x%29-%28sqrt%28%28x^2%29-2x%29&t=wvg01

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2010 #2
    Your last step is not really justified.

[tex] \sqrt{x^{2} +2x}+ \sqrt{x^{2}-2x }= |x| \left(\sqrt{1 + \frac{2}{x}} + \sqrt{1 -\frac{2}{x}} \right) [/tex]

Since x gets more and more negative

|x| = -x ( in this case)

4. Sep 19, 2010 #3
    abs(x)abs so i can use it as -x and x and see if they boht approch the same #?

5. Sep 19, 2010 #4

In your specific case they will not approach the same number as you can see. That is why wolfram got -2.

|x| = -x if x <0
    |x| = x if x >= 0

In you case x was going to negative infinity. So it only make sense to put abs(x) = -x.
    In your solution you simiply put [tex] |x| = x[/tex] which is not justified since you are bringing stuff out of the square root.

6. Sep 21, 2010 #5
    hey.. so how can i work with the absolute's? help...

7. Sep 21, 2010 #6
    What do you mean ?

8. Sep 21, 2010 #7
    [tex]
    \sqrt{x^{2} +2x}+ \sqrt{x^{2}-2x }= |x| \left(\sqrt{1 + \frac{2}{x}} + \sqrt{1 -\frac{2}{x}} \right)
    [/tex]

from here can i find the limit like i take in to account like split into -x and x and find the values... i did find them but they are -2 and 2... where im i going wrong

EDIT: you said something about using -x...why is that...

9. Sep 22, 2010 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see how that will do any good at all since you still have that "|x|" going to infinity and the difference going to 0.

What I recommend, even though you don't really have a fraction, is to "rationalize the numerator":
    [tex]\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}- \sqrt{x^2- 2x}= \left(\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}- \sqrt{x^2- 2x}\right)\frac{\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}+ \sqrt{x^2- 2x}}{\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}+ \sqrt{x^2- 2x}}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{x^2+ 2x- (x^2- 2x)}{\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}+ \sqrt{x^2- 2x}}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{4x}{\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}+ \sqrt{x^2- 2x}}[/tex]

Now divide both numerator and denominator by x, making it [itex]x^2[/itex] inside the square roots:
    [tex]\frac{4}{\sqrt{1+ 2/x}+ \sqrt{1- 2/x}}[/tex]

Now take the limit as x goes to negative infinity.

10. Sep 22, 2010 #9
    Okay I will explain in more details.

[tex]\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}- \sqrt{x^2- 2x}= \left(\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}- \sqrt{x^2- 2x}\right)\frac{\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}+ \sqrt{x^2- 2x}}{\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}+ \sqrt{x^2- 2x}}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{x^2+ 2x- (x^2- 2x)}{\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}+ \sqrt{x^2- 2x}}[/tex]
    [tex]= \frac{4x}{\sqrt{x^2+ 2x}+ \sqrt{x^2- 2x}}[/tex]

This is all good. You did that part excellently.

[tex] \frac{4x}{ \left( \sqrt{ x^{2} \left(1+ \frac{2}{x}\right)}+ \sqrt{ x^{2} \left(1- \frac{2}{x} \right)} \right)}[/tex]

Take the [tex]x^2[/tex] term out
    [tex]=\frac{4x}{ \left|x \right| \left( \sqrt{1+ 2/x}+ \sqrt{1- 2/x} \right)}[/tex]

The absolute value sign is because...
    [tex] \sqrt{x^2} = \left|x \right| [/tex]

We know that |x| is defined as follows

|x| = -x if x<0
    |x| = x if x >= 0

In your limit x <0 since you are making x approach negative infinity . x would be negative so -x would make x positive. Do you understand this ?

And that is why you should replace |x| with -x

That is ...
    [tex]=\frac{4x}{-x \left( \sqrt{1+ 2/x}+ \sqrt{1- 2/x} \right)}[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{-4}{ \sqrt{1+ 2/x}+ \sqrt{1- 2/x}}[/tex]

And now you can happily take your limit to and you will see that it approaches [tex] \frac{-4}{2} = -2[/tex]

That is exactly what OP did which was incorrect.

Following your solution leads to a limit going to [tex] \frac{4}{2} =2[/tex] which is not correct!

11. Sep 22, 2010 #10
    ╔(σ_σ)╝ thank you so much i see where i went wrong...(I always make these mistake)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook