Rigorously Evaluating the Limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$

• Thread starter Nick R
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses taking the limit of a function as t approaches infinity and different methods for evaluating it rigorously. These methods include using L'Hopital's rule and a direct proof using the properties of e^x. The conversation also includes a humorous suggestion to define the topic starter as \tau\sigma_{1}(399107):= {"Nick R"}.
Nick R
Hello, it is pretty obvious that the following limit is equal to zero:

[tex]$Lim t \rightarrow \infty (\tmop{te}^{- t}) = 0$[/tex]

For example, for t=100 it is [tex]100*e^{-100}[/tex]

But how would you take this limit "rigorously"? I tried decomposing the function with a mclaurin series and [tex]te^-t[/tex] is equal to this series:

[tex]$\sum_{n = 1}^{\infty} \frac{(- 1)^{n + 1} t^n}{(n - 1) !}$[/tex]

How would I actually evaluate this series for t->infinity? Or is this the wrong approach?

Also for a finite number of terms it appears that this series diverges...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Errrr... L'hopital's rule. Sorry should have spent a while longer thinking about it before posting.

Write it as [itex]t/e^t[/itex] and use L'Hopital's rule as Nick R suggested.

Nick R = TS ;)

A more direct proof: since [itex]e^x = 1 + x + x^2+ ... [/itex], it is obvious that [itex]e^x>x[/itex] for all [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}[/tex]. In other words, [itex]\frac{e^x}{x}>1[/itex]. Hence

[tex]\frac{e^x}{x}=\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{e^{x/2}}{x/2}\right)e^{x/2}>\frac{1}{2}e^{x/2}\to\infty[/tex] if [itex]x\to\infty[/itex].

It follows that [itex]xe^{-x}=\frac{x}{e^x}\to 0[/itex] if [itex]x\to\infty[/itex].

Ts = op?

I'm sorry, with TS I meant Topic (/Thread) Starter. Is OP (original poster?) more standard?

We are mathematicians. We can call it whatever we want! But it is mandatory to use at least two of these:
1) greek letter(s)
2) subscript
3) AlTeRnAtInG CaPs

I recommend that we define [tex]\tau\sigma_{1}(399107)[/tex]:= {"Nick R"}

The Chaz said:
We are mathematicians. We can call it whatever we want! But it is mandatory to use at least two of these:
1) greek letter(s)
2) subscript
3) AlTeRnAtInG CaPs

I recommend that we define [tex]\tau\sigma_{1}(399107)[/tex]:= {"Nick R"}

Hahaha that's a good one :rofl:

1. What is the limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$ as $t$ approaches infinity?

The limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$ as $t$ approaches infinity is equal to zero. This means that as $t$ gets larger and larger, the value of the expression approaches zero but never reaches it.

2. How do you rigorously evaluate the limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$?

To rigorously evaluate the limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$, we use the definition of a limit. This involves proving that for any small number $\varepsilon > 0$, there exists a corresponding number $\delta > 0$ such that if $0 < |t - a| < \delta$, then $|\tmop{te}^{- t} - L| < \varepsilon$, where $L$ is the limit we are trying to find. This process may involve using algebraic manipulations, the squeeze theorem, or other methods to simplify the expression.

3. What is the significance of evaluating the limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$?

Evaluating the limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$ allows us to understand the behavior of the function as $t$ gets very large. It also helps us to find the asymptotic behavior of the function, which is useful in many areas of mathematics and science.

4. Can the limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$ be evaluated using L'Hôpital's rule?

Yes, L'Hôpital's rule can be used to evaluate the limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$, as long as the limit is in an indeterminate form, such as $\frac{\infty}{\infty}$ or $\frac{0}{0}$. In this case, we can take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately and then evaluate the limit again.

5. Are there any applications of evaluating the limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$ in real-world scenarios?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of evaluating the limit of $\tmop{te}^{- t}$, such as in the fields of physics, chemistry, and engineering. For example, it can be used to model the decay of radioactive elements, the cooling of a hot object, or the growth of a population over time.