Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple limits problem

1. Sep 15, 2006 #1
    I'm given the limit f(x + [tex]\Delta[/tex]x) / [tex]\Delta[/tex]x
    Given f(x) is 2x + 3, do I just plug in 2x +3 into x? Or do I plug it into x and [tex]\Delta[/tex]x, or do I find the limits of f(x + [tex]\Delta[/tex]x) / [tex]\Delta[/tex]x) and -f(x)/[tex]\Delta[/tex]x?, etc..If someone could get me started on this it would be great, Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

First of all, write your problem CORRECTLY from your book. That you haven't done.

4. Sep 15, 2006 #3
    This is my first time using latex so I guess I'll just type it out for clarity. Find the limit of the function (f(x + delta x) - f(x)) / delta x as delta x approaches 0 when f(x) = 2x + 3.

5. Sep 15, 2006 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Quite so.
    Given that, what is in this case f(x+delta x)?

6. Sep 16, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

You are going to find it very, very difficult to do calculus if you don't understand what "f(x)" and "f(x+ y)" mean!

If f(x)= 2x+ 3, then f(a)= 2a+ 3 (just replace x in the entire formula with whatever is in the parentheses on the left). In particular, f(x+ y)= 2(x+ y)+ 3= 2x+2y+ 3.

(Your latex was fine in your first post. arildno's point was that you didn't specify "as [itex]\Delta[/itex]x goes to 0"!)

7. Sep 16, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Actually, he did not subtract f(x) in the numerator; that's what I reacted upon.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook