1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Limits Proof

1. Sep 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove:
    "lim f(x) as x-->a is equal to lim f(a+h) as h-->0 (this is really just an exercise in understanding what the terms are)"

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Now the easiest way would just to pop in the values and boom, lim f(a) = lim f(a). But I think he is looking for a different reasoning. My attempt was to kind of define the statements like so:

_______

LHS: f can be made to be as close to a limit L as desired by making x sufficiently close to a.

RHS: f can be made to be as close to a limit L as desired by making h sufficiently close to zero.

And in this example, it just so happens when h is made to go to zero we are left with the respective equations L's equal to each other.
    ______

I don't think I've really "proved" anything though, have I?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2010 #2
    x + a - a = x correct? Let's h = x - a. that means:

x = h + a
    h = x - a

also you should know this fact, lim x-->a is the smae as x+b-->a+b
    For example the limit as x tends to 2, is the same as the limit as x+2 tends to 4.
    so x->a is the same as x-a->a-a.

Sub these into: f(x) as x-->a
    and you get f(h+a) as x-a -> a-a
    which is equivlent to f(h+a) as h-> 0

4. Sep 28, 2010 #3

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're probably expected to go back to the [tex]\epsilon,\delta[/tex] definition of the limit and use those techniques.

5. Sep 28, 2010 #4
    figured he didn't have to do that since he said
    but a change of variables is rigorous and i'm pretty sure if you went back to δ ε you'd just do the same idea there.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook