1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Limits Question

1. Oct 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the following limit
    [itex]
    \displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow 4} {\frac{2-\sqrt{x}}{3-\sqrt{2x+1}}}[/itex]
    2. Relevant equations

lim x -> 4
    3. The attempt at a solution
    i tried change of variables so i get [itex]√2x+1 = u[/itex]
    then i rearranged that to get [itex]u^2-1/2[/itex]
    And i rearrnage original equation and i get this..
    [itex]-(u^2-7)/3-u(u^2-1/2)[/itex]

Sorry i am new with this latex thing .. i don treally konw how to use it the sqrt thing so i just lay it out this way

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2014 #2
    I am really unsure of how to use this latex thing... but personally i think my attempt at the solution is all garbage so if anyone could guide me on the right path that would be help ful

4. Oct 6, 2014 #3
    Multiply with the nominator and denominator with 3+sqrt(4x+1)

5. Oct 6, 2014 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Or l'hopital's?
    ##\frac{2 - \sqrt{x}}{3 - \sqrt{2x + 1}}\frac{3+\sqrt{2x+1}}{3+\sqrt{2x+1}}=\frac{(2-\sqrt{x})(3+\sqrt{2x+1})}{9 - (2x +1)}##
    which still has a divide by zero error as x->4

6. Oct 6, 2014 #5
    i think l'hopitals is derivatives, i havent learned that yet im only allowed to use limits

7. Oct 6, 2014 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You need to rationalize both the numerator and denominator. To do this, multiply by the following:
    $$ \frac{2 + \sqrt{x}}{2 + \sqrt{x}} \cdot \frac{3 + \sqrt{2x + 1}}{3 + \sqrt{2x + 1}}$$

When you do this, you get something that you can simplify and then take the limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted