Unsuccessful Attempts at Solving Limit Questions

• Thread starter anil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit of two different functions as X approaches 1- and 0+ respectively. The answer to both is "limit does not exist" due to the fact that the limits from the left and right sides do not match. The second function's limit cannot be determined without specifying the direction of approach.
anil
Hello I have been making unsucessful attempts in answering these following q's.

Find Limit of (1/(x-1)), as X approaches 1-. I got the answer as "Limit doesnot exist" but not sure.

Find Limit of (3+(7/x)), as X approaches 0+. I got the answer as "Limit doesnot exist" but not sure.

Any one know the answer?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your answers are correct as long as you (or your teacher) define limits as finite numbers. Otherwise the first problem has -infinity while the second has +infinity.

The limit for the first function indeed does NOT exist. Infinity is different than not existing, because for a limit to exist at a certain X Value, the limit that you obtain when approaching from the left side must be the same as the limit that you obtain from approaching from the right side, and in those functions, they do not, therefore the limit is not infinity, but is non-existant. The limit for the second one cannot be said as existing just because it is not specified if it is the limit from the negative or positive side, and the limit only exists when coming from the negative side.

Last edited:

What are limit questions?

Limit questions are mathematical problems that involve finding a value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. They are commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics.

Why do people struggle with solving limit questions?

People may struggle with solving limit questions because they require a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques, as well as critical thinking skills. They can also be challenging because there are multiple techniques that can be used to solve them.

What are some common mistakes people make when attempting to solve limit questions?

Some common mistakes people make when solving limit questions include not understanding the problem correctly, using incorrect techniques or formulas, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully read the question and double-check all steps and calculations.

How can I improve my success rate in solving limit questions?

To improve your success rate in solving limit questions, it is important to have a strong understanding of the mathematical concepts involved, practice regularly, and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. It can also be helpful to thoroughly read and understand the steps and techniques used in solving different types of limit questions.

Are there any tips or tricks for solving limit questions?

There are various tips and tricks that can be helpful in solving limit questions. These include understanding the properties of limits, using algebraic manipulation, and recognizing common patterns in limit questions. It is also important to practice regularly and seek help when needed.