Simple linear algebra question (test in a few hours)

In summary, simple linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, and matrices. It has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. The basic operations in simple linear algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, along with important concepts such as dot product and determinants. To prepare for a test on simple linear algebra, one should review key concepts, practice solving problems, and seek out additional resources. Common mistakes to avoid include miscalculating or misinterpreting vectors and matrices, forgetting to apply operations or rules, and not checking solutions carefully.
Physics_wiz
my book says that if you have a parametrized line in 3 dimensions
i.e.:
x - 1 = 4t
y - 5 = 3t
z - 2 = 7t,

the vector <4, 3, 7> (coefficients of t) is a vector parallel to that line.

My notes clearely say that the vector <4, 3, 7> is a normal vector to the parametrized line.

Which one is right?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be parallel.

- harsh

Ok thanks. That's what I thought...I should drink some caffiene before I go to class and take notes. :smile:

1. What is simple linear algebra?

Simple linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their properties. It involves the manipulation of vectors and matrices to solve systems of equations and understand linear transformations.

2. What are some common applications of simple linear algebra?

Simple linear algebra is used in a wide range of fields including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. Some common applications include data analysis, image processing, and machine learning.

3. What are the basic operations in simple linear algebra?

The basic operations in simple linear algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of vectors and matrices. Other important concepts include dot product, cross product, and determinants.

4. How can I prepare for a simple linear algebra test?

To prepare for a simple linear algebra test, it is important to review the key concepts and formulas, practice solving problems, and work through sample questions and exercises. It may also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in simple linear algebra?

Some common mistakes to avoid in simple linear algebra include miscalculating or misinterpreting vectors and matrices, forgetting to apply the appropriate operations or rules, and not properly setting up and solving equations. It is also important to check your work and carefully consider the meaning and implications of your solutions.