What is the missing factor in this basic linear motion problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a basic linear motion question about a ball being thrown vertically into the air and being caught 3.1 seconds later. The conversation includes calculations for finding the velocity when the ball was thrown and the maximum height it reached. One person points out that the trajectory may not be a strict parabola and suggests finding the entire resulting velocity, while another confirms that the initial velocity used in the calculations is correct.
Alboin

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown vertically into the air and is caught 3.1 seconds later. (This is just a basic linear motion question, so there are no 'advanced' considerations.)

a) Find the velocity when the ball was thrown
b) Find the max height

Homework Equations

(Nothing really specific)

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have this right, but most other people in my class have a completely different answer. Can you tell me what, exactly, I am missing? (Or, if I'm actually correct?)

Let a = acceleration in m\s^2, V = initial velocity in m\s, and t = time in sec. In this problem, a is -g, or -9.8.

a) The falling ball should be able to be modeled with the equation y=V*t + .5(a)(t^2). However, while the initial velocity is not known, the x of the vertex is (The parabola stretches 3.1sec. and thus its center is 3.1/2), so by using the vertex form of a quadratic:

y = -4.9(x-1.55)^2 + k

And, since we are interested in is the initial velocity, or the first derivative at 0, the k is irrelevant, and:

y' = -9.8x+15.19

Thus, at 0, the velocity is 15.19 m\s.

b) The height using the original y=V*t + .5(a)(t^2):

y = 15.19(1.55) + .5(-9.8)(.1.55)^2
= 11.8 m

What am I missing?
Thanks,
Alboin

Physics news on Phys.org
Alboin said:
A ball is thrown vertically into the air

As I understand it, in an introductory physics course, a ball thrown vertically is strictly vertical unless otherwise stated. Thus the trajectory would simply be a straight line, rather than a parabola with an x-component to the velocity.

Is there a picture or any other reason to think otherwise? Unless this is under the "2-D motion" category of your textbook or something, then you might be making this problem harder than it really is. The problem doesn't account for it, thus we could consider the drag of air on the ball, and the actual height the ball may have been caught, complicating the problem more.

Oh, I'm sorry. y = -4.9(x-1.55)^2 + k and friends are referring to distance\height in the air (y) versus time (x). So as time increases, the distance increases, but then falls again - a parabola.

Alright, if the ball is not strictly vertical in motion, then your velocity for part a is nearly correct. You failed to account for the velocity's factor that assists in the horizontal motion of the ball, creating the parabolic trajectory.

You found v0y, not the entire resulting velocity. Your maximum height is correct, but I think you found it accidentally. You wouldn't plug in the actual initial velocity of the ball into the equation, as you tried to do.

EDIT: I think I just understood your previous post. If the trajectory isn't an ACTUAL parabola (sorry!), then yes your answer is correct, lol.

What is Simple Linear Motion?

Simple Linear Motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a straight line at a constant speed.

What are the key characteristics of Simple Linear Motion?

The key characteristics of Simple Linear Motion include constant speed, straight line movement, and no acceleration or deceleration.

What is the difference between Simple Linear Motion and Uniform Motion?

Simple Linear Motion refers to the type of motion in which an object moves in a straight line at a constant speed, whereas Uniform Motion refers to the type of motion in which an object moves at a constant speed in any direction.

What is the formula for calculating Simple Linear Motion?

The formula for calculating Simple Linear Motion is: Distance = Speed x Time.

What are some real-life examples of Simple Linear Motion?

Some real-life examples of Simple Linear Motion include a train moving along a straight track, a person walking in a straight line, and a car driving on a straight road.