1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple ln integration problem

1. Aug 27, 2007 #1
    I have some stupid trouble with a simple integration. f(x)=ln(x^(1/2))/x

I try using u substitution. u=ln(x^(1/2)) Then du=1/(x^(1/2)*1/(2x^(1/2))dx=dx/(2x)
    Then dx should be 2xdu Then plugging back in I should have intg(2u*du) which would give me (ln(x^(1/2))^2; yet the answer my calculator gives me is that answer divided by four; it's like the 2 in the u substitution ends up below xdx, but I don't see how that's possible.

I will greatly appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

The calculator is giving you [tex]\frac{1}{4}(lnx)^2[/tex] which is the same as your answer. Notice that the calculator gives lnx, not ln(x^(1/2)). It just took the exponent out of the ln.

4. Aug 27, 2007 #3
    Stupid Calculator! Lol, thanks a lot. I knew there must have been something really idiotic at the bottom, but being a bit OCD I couldn't rest until I found the cause, and I wasted more than an hour with this problem :). Well thanks again, now I can sleep.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?