1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Logarithm

1. Dec 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It was found that the percentage of the carbon-14,P, contained in the bones of an animal n years after it has died is given by P = 2[tex]^{-kn}[/tex] , where k is a positive constant. The percentage of carbon-14 contained in the bones after the animal has been dead for 5668 years was 50% . How long, to the nearest year, was the animal dead if the percentage of the carbon-14 found in the bones was 76%?

I tried however my K is negative.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You tried? Good! Now, what did you try? Show exactly how you got K negative and we may be able to help you. (Perhaps you used P= 50 instead of 0.50?)

4. Dec 5, 2008 #3
    why is it 0.5 and not 50? i thought they were asking for the percentage and not the fraction?

The k i got is log , base 2, 50 over -5668

5. Dec 5, 2008 #4
    You use 0.5 because 50%=50/100=5/10=1/2=2-1
    [tex]2^{5668k}=2^{-1}[/tex]
    Now you need to find k and then substitute in 2-kn=76/100 and find n

6. Dec 5, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Where did you get the idea that they were asking for a percentage? The problem specifically said " How long, to the nearest year". "How long" is NOT a percentage!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?