Solving Log Equation: Log_a(x+3) + Log_a(x-4) = Log_a(8)

• Thread starter Iclaudius
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving logarithmic equations and finding the number of solutions. After solving the equation, it is discovered that there is only one solution, but the book claims there are zero solutions. The error is found to be in the simplification of the logarithms. The correct solution is found by solving the quadratic equation and understanding the properties of logarithms.
Iclaudius
Hello friends,

so i have this problem it reads:

how many solutions does the following equation have

Log_a(x+3) + Log_a(x-4) = Log_a(8)

ok so first i put all the logs on one side of the equation and solve for x after using log laws,

and i get x = 4 and x = -3, however plugging these into the equation will result in Log(o) so i answer the question with the equation has 0 solutions but the book tells me it has 1 solution.

can someone please explain this to me - thank you very much for your time i do appreciate it,

Claudius

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you just did some of your math wrong. You should not be getting 4 and -3 as solutions. I will update with some work in a moment.

[tex]\log_a (x+3) + \log_a (x-4) = \log_a (8)[/tex]

[tex]\log_a ((x+3)(x-4)) = \log_a (8)[/tex]

[tex]\log_a (x^2 - x -12) = \log_a (8)[/tex]

[tex]x^2 - x - 12 = 8[/tex]

So, what are the solutions for x? Now, plug them into the original equation and see which are valid.

Last edited:
Using x = -3 you have log_a(0) + log_a(-7) = log_a(8), and using x = 4 you have log_a(7) + log_a(0) = log_a(8). Both these equations should tingle your funny bone!

There are 3 basic log laws governing addition, subtraction and powers, are you familiar with them?

Can you show your working so we can point out where you went wrong.

There is one solution. You made a mistake when simplifying the logs. I'm going to guess you said something like

[tex]\log_a(x+3)+\log_a(x-4) - \log_a(8) = 0 \Rightarrow \log_a((x+3)(x-4)/8) = 0 \Rightarrow (x+3)(x-4)/8 = 0.[/tex]

Is that what you did? If so, that last implication is incorrect. Do you see why?

ok so my working is like this

Ln( ((x+3) (x-4)) / 8 ) = 0

simple quadractic - solve for x i get x=4, and x =-3

hmmm no...

I updated my original reply with some latex that might help you out. Sorry, I didn't realize PF Math was so poppin' at this hour.

Ok i see what you did there King - however why can I not take Ln(8) to the other side and combine using log laws? As Mute has pointed out

Iclaudius said:
Ok i see what you did there King - however why can I not take Ln(8) to the other side and combine using log laws? As Mute has pointed out

You can.

Iclaudius said:
ok so my working is like this

Ln( ((x+3) (x-4)) / 8 ) = 0

simple quadractic - solve for x i get x=4, and x =-3

Your equation is correct - but remember that when you "undo" a logarithm, you effectively make each side of the equation the exponent of the base. So when you "undo" the log, the right side will have a^0, which is 1. Anything to the power of zero is one. Solving that quadratic will give you correct terms.

[tex]\log_a ((x+3)(x-4)/8)=0[/tex]

[tex]a^{log_a ((x+3)(x-4)/8)}=a^0[/tex]

[tex]((x+3)(x-4)/8)=1[/tex]

Last edited:
Ahhh - off course! Thank you so much for clearing that up!

1. How do I approach solving a log equation?

To solve a log equation, you need to first isolate the logarithms on one side of the equation and the constants on the other side. Then, use the properties of logarithms to combine the logarithms into a single logarithm. Finally, use the inverse property of logarithms to solve for the variable.

2. What is the first step in solving Log_a(x+3) + Log_a(x-4) = Log_a(8)?

The first step is to combine the logarithms using the product property of logarithms. This will result in Log_a[(x+3)(x-4)] = Log_a(8).

3. How do I solve for x when there are multiple logarithms on one side of the equation?

When there are multiple logarithms on one side, you can use the quotient property of logarithms to rewrite the equation as Log_a[(x+3)/(x-4)] = Log_a(8). Then, use the inverse property of logarithms to isolate the variable and solve for x.

4. Can I use any base for the logarithms in this equation?

Yes, as long as you use the same base for all the logarithms in the equation. This is known as the change of base formula, and it states that Log_a(x) = Log_b(x)/Log_b(a).

5. What do I do if I get a negative number when solving for x?

If you get a negative number when solving for x, it means that the solution does not exist. Logarithms only work for positive numbers, so there is no solution to the equation.