Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple magnet question

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    new guy here with a simple question.

if i were to coil 10 turns of 14 gauge insulated wire around an 1/8" round x 1" long neodymium magnet, then wire it in parallel to a second magnet with 20 turns of the same gauge wire, what kind of change could i exspect in the second magnet if i spun a reluctor in front of the first magnet?

im trying to boost or weaken one magnet with another......remotely

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2011 #2
    to clarify my question and give you a motive i drew up a picture.

my question is when the reluctor wheel passes past one of one magnet what kind of response will i get in the other magnet?

-will there be an increase or decrease in the other magnets strength depending on the direction of the windings in the coils?

-will there be an equal response across the grid dependant on the accuracy of each coil of course?

-could a magnetic image somehow be broadcasted from one grid to the other through the use of mercury or metal filings?

these are just a couple of the questions i want answers to. in order to build a grid i need time and money. just want to know if the answers are already out there before i waste both.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook