Simple Mass Spring Lagrangian: Equations of Motion for a Two-Dimensional System

Also, the Δx and Δy are not independent. You can express one in terms of the other using the geometry of the triangle, with the side joining the spring connection points as the hypotenuse. I'm sorry, but I'm going to be away from my computer for a few hours, so I won't be able to respond.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a particle suspended between two springs that can swivel in the x-y plane and stretch or contract. The Lagrangian for the system is written and the equations of motion are found. The potential energy is a function of the elongation of both springs, which can be expressed as U=1/2*k*(Δx^
GreenLRan

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is suspended between two springs, each of spring constant k. In equilibrium position each spring is horizontal and has length L. The springs can swivel in the x,y plane as well as stretch or contract. Treating this as a two dimensional problem and ignoring gravity, write the Lagrangian for the system and find the equations of motion.

Homework Equations

L=T-U, (d/dt (pL/px')) - pL/px =0 T= kinetic energy, U= potential energy, p= partial derivative symbol, '= prime symbol

The Attempt at a Solution

I set T= 1/2*m*x'^2, U= -2*(1/2*k*Δx^2),
then deriving the equations of motion I got mx''+2kΔx=0 and my''+2kΔy=0 (wrong answer)
(I'm not sure if there are supposed to be two equations)
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like you have left a lot out. This is a two dimensional problem. I only see one dimension represented in your T equation, and it appears you have tried to equate the extensions of the springs. They need not be the same.

ok well I understand that the kinetic energy is T= 1/2*m*(x'^2+y'^2), but the "can swivel in x,y plane" part is confusing me. Would the potential energy of the springs only be in the Y direction ? Anything would be helpful. Thanks

GreenLRan said:
ok well I understand that the kinetic energy is T= 1/2*m*(x'^2+y'^2), but the "can swivel in x,y plane" part is confusing me. Would the potential energy of the springs only be in the Y direction ? Anything would be helpful. Thanks

The potential energy is a function of the elongation of both springs. The "swivel" means the mass can move anywhere in the x-y plane permitted by the spring connections. If the x-axis is the line joining the connection points of the springs and the equilibrium position is at x = 0, then the PE is the sum of the elastic energies of the springs relative to equilibrium. The x-axis and the springs form a triangle that can be any shape, but the one side is the distance between the points of connection of the springs. The vertex opposite that side can be anywhere in the x-y plane, as long as you don't violate the linearity of the spring forces.

So, the potential would then be ( correct me if I am wrong ) U= 1/2*k*(Δx^2+Δy^2) ?

GreenLRan said:
So, the potential would then be ( correct me if I am wrong ) U= 1/2*k*(Δx^2+Δy^2) ?

With a bit of algebra I think you can show that U has that form, except without the 1/2 factor. The spring constant of each spring is k, so the effective spring constant is 2k.

1. What is a simple mass spring lagrangian?

A simple mass spring lagrangian is a mathematical model that describes the motion of a mass attached to a spring. It takes into account the energy of the system and the forces acting on the mass to determine its motion.

2. How is a simple mass spring lagrangian different from other models?

A simple mass spring lagrangian is based on the principles of classical mechanics, specifically the Lagrangian formalism. Unlike other models, it takes into account the energy of the system rather than just the forces acting on it.

3. What are the applications of a simple mass spring lagrangian?

A simple mass spring lagrangian has many practical applications in physics and engineering. It can be used to model the motion of a pendulum, a vibrating guitar string, or a car suspension system, among others.

4. How is a simple mass spring lagrangian derived?

A simple mass spring lagrangian is derived using the Lagrangian formalism, which involves writing the total energy of the system in terms of the generalized coordinates and their time derivatives. The resulting equations of motion can then be solved to determine the motion of the mass.

5. Are there any limitations to a simple mass spring lagrangian?

Like any mathematical model, a simple mass spring lagrangian has its limitations. It assumes that the mass is moving in a frictionless environment and that the spring is ideal, with no mass or damping. In real-world situations, these assumptions may not hold true and may need to be accounted for in the model.