Four Digit Numbers from 2x2 Digits - Simple Math Puzzle

• B
  • Thread starter bob012345
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Puzzle
In summary: Thank you for pointing that out.In summary, the conversation discusses how many four digit numbers are the product of two two digit numbers, and whether the process can be easily generalized to other combinations. The participants also mention the simpler case of how many two digit numbers are the product of two one digit numbers, and the potential for counting errors due to duplicates and permutations. Finally, they discuss the importance of checking solutions and considering all variables when posing puzzles or problems.
bob012345
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
How many four digit numbers are the product of two two digit numbers?
Of all the possible four digit numbers how many are the produce of two two digit numbers? Can the process be easily generalized to other combinations? Thanks.

Likes Janosh89
Mathematics news on Phys.org
bob012345 said:
Summary:: How many four digit numbers are the product of two two digit numbers?
None. Think about it. (No, don't think about it. In fact, I was never here :smile:)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes nuuskur, FactChecker and bob012345
phinds said:
None. Think about it.
50*50=2500?

@bob012345: I don't know if this is homework or not, but either way you should at least make some effort to find an answer. It's really not difficult. In what range can the first factor be? For a given first factor, what range can the second factor have? Do you count different ways to get products as different results or not? E.g. 20*80 vs. 40*40.

Likes FactChecker and etotheipi
mfb said:
50*50=2500?
egg_small.jpg

Looks like I slipped a digit somewhere

(Actually, I know where but I'm embarrassed to say)

Likes bob012345
mfb said:
50*50=2500?

@bob012345: I don't know if this is homework or not, but either way you should at least make some effort to find an answer. It's really not difficult. In what range can the first factor be? For a given first factor, what range can the second factor have? Do you count different ways to get products as different results or not? E.g. 20*80 vs. 40*40.

Thanks. That counts as one case as do permutations. I don't care how many ways get to 1600 for example as long as 1600 is only counted once. I made this up for fun and it's not homework. I have an answer but if I gave the answer upfront it wouldn't be a puzzle! Also, I want to see if anyone has a better than brute force method.

Also, for the simpler case of how many two digit numbers are the product of two one digit numbers, the answer is 32 out of a total 90 possible two digit numbers.

phinds said:
View attachment 266430
Looks like I slipped a digit somewhere

(Actually, I know where but I'm embarrassed to say)
No problem. :smile:

The answer I get is that there are 3339 numbers that are a product of two double digit numbers out of possible 9000 four digit numbers (1000 to 9999 inclusive). But there could be a counting error. I think it will scale by 100 for each higher level (xxx*xxx=xxxxxx, xxxx*xxxx=xxxxxxxx ect.) but also grow slightly because the 'grid' is finer as the ratio of allowable numbers/total possibilities converges to an asymptotic limit i.e. 32/90=0.3556, 3339/9000=0.371, ...).

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
Also, for the simpler case of how many two digit numbers are the product of two one digit numbers, the answer is 32 out of a total 90 possible two digit numbers.
I don't think it is: are you counting the squares twice?

Likes etotheipi
pbuk said:
I don't think it is: are you counting the squares twice?
That would be 58. You can easily do it graphically and see you get 32.

58 - 32 = 26. There aren't 26 2 digit squares so I clearly don't understand the problem. What are your 32?

pbuk said:
58 - 32 = 26. There aren't 26 2 digit squares so I clearly don't understand the problem. What are your 32?
The bold is the diagonal elements. Originally, I was thinking no permutations which I mean upper and lower elements around the diagonal but I did forget that several elements also have duplicate values so my number was too high. It should be 27. I think the problem is better framed and my answer for the original case would be correct if I allowed multiple instances of the same value as long as it wasn't from a permutation of the same two numbers. Sorry about that!

Last edited:
You have 3 x 6 = 18 and 2 x 9 = 18.

Likes Janosh89, etotheipi and bob012345
pbuk said:

Thanks! I forgot about identical values from non-permutations. Sorry. :eek:

But, I could not do the original case by hand if I didn't allow duplicates!

Last edited:
pbuk said:
You have 3 x 6 = 18 and 2 x 9 = 18.
Yeah. OOPS. I misinterpreted the question

bob012345 said:
When posing puzzles you either need to cross-check your solutions using a different method or show them to a friend or small group first to check.

bob012345 said:
I don't wish to be rude, but that's ridiculous. If you had done it by hand, the duplicated should have been obvious and you should have eliminated them from the total.

When I did it, I just looked to see if the boxes contained a 2-digit # and didn't even think about WHAT the number was, or duplicates, which was wrong.

phinds said:
I don't wish to be rude, but that's ridiculous. If you had done it by hand, the duplicated should have been obvious and you should have eliminated them from the total.

When I did it, I just looked to see if the boxes contained a 2-digit # and didn't even think about WHAT the number was, or duplicates, which was wrong.

The original problem came first and had thousands of cases. I did not think about duplicates because I only thought about getting 4 digits but I did think about permutations. Later, when I was asked about duplicates, I should've just said they are ok. At that point I didn't consider the need to evaluate each value. So, if I had thought of that I would not have done the problem by hand (without writing script). I added the simpler case later and only then did I think about the problem of duplicates.

Sorry again about the confusion.

pbuk said:
When posing puzzles you either need to cross-check your solutions using a different method or show them to a friend or small group first to check.
Sorry, I should have just posed it as a problem and not a puzzle which assumes it was completely understood!

bob012345 said:
The original problem came first and had thousands of cases. I did not think about duplicates ...
A reasonable point. I was only thinking of the smaller case.

Likes DifferentialGalois and bob012345

1. What is a four digit number from 2x2 digits?

A four digit number from 2x2 digits is a number that is made up of four digits, with each digit being a combination of two digits. For example, 34 and 56 can be combined to form the four digit number 3456.

2. How do you solve a simple math puzzle with four digit numbers from 2x2 digits?

To solve a simple math puzzle with four digit numbers from 2x2 digits, you can follow these steps:

1. Write down the four digit numbers that are given in the puzzle.

2. Identify the two digits that make up each number.

3. Use basic math operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) to manipulate the numbers and solve the puzzle.

3. What is the purpose of using four digit numbers from 2x2 digits in a math puzzle?

The purpose of using four digit numbers from 2x2 digits in a math puzzle is to challenge and improve one's problem-solving and mathematical skills. It also helps in developing logical thinking and critical reasoning abilities.

4. Can four digit numbers from 2x2 digits be used in real-life situations?

Yes, four digit numbers from 2x2 digits can be used in various real-life situations such as in banking, finance, and coding. They are also commonly used in everyday tasks like phone numbers, postal codes, and identification numbers.

5. Are there any strategies for quickly solving a math puzzle with four digit numbers from 2x2 digits?

Yes, there are some strategies that can help in quickly solving a math puzzle with four digit numbers from 2x2 digits. These include breaking down the numbers into smaller parts, using mental math techniques, and working backwards from the given answer. Practice and familiarity with mathematical operations can also help in solving these puzzles more efficiently.