1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple math question for physic problem

1. Jan 3, 2013 #1
    Sans titre.png

How do they get from the Rsinθ the value I have found the one I search: Rθ (extra string length)

I know that sinθ = θ when θ is small but there Rsinθ is the extra height the mass gain when we push it from initial position to a θ angle with vertical, I don't see how it could be the extra string length.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi, Dragster. It would be very helpful if you could describe the physical setup. I think I see what some of the expressions in the figure represent. But I don't understand at all what the small circle with diameter ##R\phi## represents. Is that some physical object?

4. Jan 3, 2013 #3

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Like TSny, I don't get the exact physical setup. But I can tell you that the arc length (length along the curve of the circumference) subtended by an angle ##\phi## along a circle of radius ##R## is ##R\phi##. Does that help in relating the "extra string length" to that expression?

5. Jan 3, 2013 #4
    I added the black circle with the ''?" on the top right.

Do you mind if I can get the rigorous explanation why the arc is Rθ? Thank you for the fast answers

Oh yea and for the problem, the string is attached on a cylinder. At theta = 0 with the vertical, the length is l0 and the asked result is the potential energy expression if the mass is pushed with an angle theta. I was only blocking on the part where I needed to know what was the extra string length.

6. Jan 3, 2013 #5

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's from the definition of how angles are measured:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radian

7. Jan 3, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When the string is vertical, the 'extra' string is wrapped against the cylinder and subtends angle phi at the centre. Clearly the angle subtended by an arc of a circle at its centre is proportional to the length of the arc, and the radian is defined in such a way that the length is simply radius * angle.

8. Jan 4, 2013 #7
    Oh well I am really stupid after all.
    Thank you cepheid et harusphex :)
    First university session makes me feel like a complete ignorant idiot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook