Simple math question, will help me at work

• Thread starter SimpleSoCal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating percentage differences using a calculator and the formula for finding the difference between two values. The formula involves finding the ratio of the two numbers and subtracting 1 to get the percentage difference. The conversation also touches on finding the percentage increase or decrease between two values. The internet is praised as a useful resource for learning.
SimpleSoCal
So my white collar job demands lots of number crunching as of lately. Now this is most likely simple, and I guess I should know this but... here it goes.

I just need to know how to calculate a percentage difference on the calculator.

For example. I take 1.46 * .28 which equals .4088. I then take 2.47 * .5 which obviously halves it to 1.235.

I know how to find percentages, like a simple X * whatever percent I want. What I'm asking is, what simple thing would I do on the calculator to get the percentage difference between .4088 and 1.235?

Thanks, hope I made sense!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey SimpleSoCal.

If you want to find how much larger one thing is in terms of another then you need to look at the ratio of the two objects.

For example with your numbers, the ratio of the two numbers 0.4088/1.235 = 0.3310121 and the difference between the two is found by subtracting 1 from the answer which gives -0.6689879 or in other words 0.4088 is -66.89879% larger than 1.235.

Now if you reverse the order you get 1.235/0.4088 = 3.021037 and minus 1 gives 2.021037 or 1.235 is 202.1037% larger than 0.4088.

You can interpret negative numbers like -66.89879% to be 66.89879% smaller than the larger value (so if you talk about the positive % then you are talking about much smaller something is).

If two things are equal then the ratio of both is equal to 1 and 1-1 = 0 which is a 0% difference which is what we expect.

It depends what you want the difference as a percentage of. 1.235 - 0.4088 = 0.8262. If you want the difference as a percentage of 1.235, it is
[tex]100*\frac{0.8262}{1.235} = 66.9\%[/tex]
If you want the difference as a percentage of 0.4088, it is
[tex]100*\frac{0.8262}{0.4088} = 202.1\%[/tex]
And similarly to get the difference as a percentage of any other number.

Thanks, guys! That helps tons. I hope I made sense on my end. What I really meant to say was percentage increase I guess. Like how much more percent bigger is 1.235 than .4088

SimpleSoCal said:
Thanks, guys! That helps tons. I hope I made sense on my end. What I really meant to say was percentage increase I guess. Like how much more percent bigger is 1.235 than .4088

You'll want to use the formula I posted in that case.

Remember that an increase or decrease means you have to subtract 100% from the answer which just means subtracting 1.

Gotcha. Man, this place is great. More than I need but it's all useful. Thank God for the internet.

1. What is the importance of simple math in the workplace?

Simple math is an essential skill in the workplace as it allows for accurate and efficient calculations, which are necessary for various tasks such as budgeting, forecasting, and data analysis. It also helps in decision-making and problem-solving, which are crucial for the success of any organization.

2. How can simple math help me at work?

Simple math can help you at work in many ways, such as calculating budgets, analyzing data, and understanding financial reports. It can also help in measuring and monitoring performance, identifying trends, and making informed decisions based on numerical data.

3. What are some common simple math skills used in the workplace?

Some common simple math skills used in the workplace include addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, ratios, and proportions. These skills are used in various tasks such as budgeting, accounting, inventory management, and data analysis.

4. How can I improve my simple math skills for work?

There are many ways to improve your simple math skills for work, such as practicing regularly, using online resources and tutorials, and seeking help from a tutor or colleague. You can also try to apply these skills in real-world scenarios to enhance your understanding and proficiency.

5. Is it necessary to have strong simple math skills for all types of jobs?

While the level of math skills required may vary depending on the job, having a basic understanding of simple math is beneficial for all types of jobs. It allows for better decision-making, problem-solving, and critical thinking, which are essential skills in any workplace.