Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple math question. .

1. Dec 5, 2003 #1
    simple math question. plz help.

i feel kinda stupid asking this question, but what is zero to the power of zero equal to? Is it equal to zero, or one, or infinity?
    or the answer will varies depending on the function since it is an indermindate power?

When i use my sci. calculator, it say error.
    but, when i use a math program it say 1. And its b/c of this that i'm confuse.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2003 #2
  4. Dec 5, 2003 #3
    so....i suppose mathematician favor(or assume) the answer to be 1?
    btw, thanx for the link wubie.
  5. Dec 5, 2003 #4
    mmmm.... I'm not so sure myself. To quote part of the article:

But is seems that there are many arguments which support 00 to be equal to one.

I am sure there are some here who can provide a more informative answer than I. I just posted the link to provide an immediate answer.

Hope that it helped.

6. Dec 5, 2003 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is not the first time it's come up, but this illustrates some of the problems with defining [itex]0^0[/itex] as [itex]1[/itex]:

[tex]x^{n-1} = \frac{x^n}{x}[/tex]

[tex]x^1 = x[/tex]

[tex]0^0 = \frac{0}{0}[/tex]

[itex]\frac{0}{0}[/itex] is indetrimnate, so to define [itex]0^0[/itex] as [itex]1[/itex] requires the (seemingly) arbitary breaking of some of the rules of algebra.

But it also came up in the other thread that sometimes there are good reasons for defining [itex]0^0[/itex] as [itex]1[/tex], but you'll have to ask Hurkyl about that.
  7. Dec 5, 2003 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What [tex]0^0[/tex] is equal to usually depends on context. I expect that in environments where it is defined, it will usually be 1.
  8. Dec 5, 2003 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Basically, the times when one says [itex]0^0=1[/itex] are the times when the operation involved really isn't about exponentiation, but about doing something repeatedly.
  9. Dec 5, 2003 #8

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not entirely correct. [itex]0^0=1[/itex] is also 1 if it's the base, and not the exponent that's changing.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?