1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Math Question

1. Dec 5, 2004 #1
    Greetings. Alright, if anyone's bored enough to be on-line right now, what is the following simplified and how do you get it?

(1-1/2)(1-1/3)(1-1/4)(1-1/5)...(1-1/n)

Thanks for any help,

- Alisa

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2004 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Add the fractions inside each set of parentheses and see if there is a pattern! :-)

4. Dec 5, 2004 #3
    I got infinity(1-2/n+2), where n= the denominator of the first of the two fractions being multiplied. That doesn't sound too solid...

5. Dec 5, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\left(1 - \frac {1}{2}\right) \left(1 - \frac {1}{3}\right) \left(1 - \frac {1}{4}\right) \cdot \cdot \cdot \left(1 - \frac {1}{n}\right) = \frac {1}{2} \cdot \frac {2}{3} \cdot \frac {3}{4} \cdot \cdot \cdot \frac {n-1}{n}[/tex]

Do you see a pattern yet?

6. Dec 6, 2004 #5
    I see the pattern, but I still keep on getting weird-looking answers such as

∞!
    ---------
    ((∞-1)!+1)

The (----) being a division sign. If the symbol doesn't come out, it's supposed to be infinity.

7. Dec 6, 2004 #6

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, first off, your original post said nothing about extending it to infinity. But since that seems to be where you are headed consider that

[tex]\frac {n-1}{n} = 1 - \frac {1}{n}[/tex]

Now let n go to infinity! :-)

8. Dec 6, 2004 #7
    Wait up, it's 2 A.M., and I can't think very straight. Why does (n-1)/n=1-(1/n)? And shouldn't we be doing factorials like ((n-1)!)/n! or something like that since all of this has to be multiplied?

9. Dec 6, 2004 #8

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Um ... it's a fundamental property of numbers? The distributive property.

You can certainly use factorials but why would you want to when all the intermediate factors cancel out?

10. Dec 6, 2004 #9
    Ooh sorry haha I didn't realize what you were talking about. Okay, yeah, so (n-1)/n= 1-(1/n), I see that. So then wouldn't it be just 1/n if we consider all the factoring out?

11. Dec 6, 2004 #10

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly! I knew you'd see it sooner or later. :-)

12. Dec 6, 2004 #11
    Haha thank you! Maybe next time I should try to get started a bit earlier...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?