1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple math question

1. Apr 2, 2014 #1
    Leibniz says the following: "It is true, or rather it is necessary, that a circle is the most capacious of isoperimetric shapes, even if no circle really exists" in the opening line of a lengthy proof he gives for God's existence.

I took calculus in college, but I don't recall what exactly these terms mean. By "most capacious" I assume he means having the most space in it, but what exactly are "isoperimetric shapes"? And why is a circle the most capacious of them? Google gives me nothing!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2014 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I hope we're going to discuss math in this thread and not the existence of God.

But anyway, I think you're looking for the isoperimetric inequality. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isoperimetric_inequality

It means that of all curves with a given perimeter, the circle has the greatest surface area.

4. Apr 2, 2014 #3
    I'm still not sure I fully understand.

Though any necessary geometrical truth will suffice for the proof of God in Leibniz. The full text is as follows:

Still, I'd like to fully understand the example he gives.

5. Apr 2, 2014 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A lot of what you posted is philosophy, which cannot be discussed in a mathematics forum.

Perhaps you can say specifically what you don't understand, because it's not very clear to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook