Solving Fraction Addition: Understanding Common Denominators

• Thread starter Holocene
  • Start date
In summary: Here, we used that 1. \frac{1}{-1}=-1, which is easily proven, as we have:1+(-1)=0; hence, -(-1)=1, so \frac{1}{-1}=-12. \frac{1}{b}=\frac{1}{b*1}=\frac{1}{b}*\frac{1}{1}=\frac{1}{b}*1=\frac{1}{b}.Hence, we have that \frac{a}{-b}=-\frac{a}{b}}.In summary, when adding fractions with different denominators, it is important to find a least common denominator. In this
Holocene
Consider the addition of 2 fractions:

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{7}{x - 3} + \frac{1}{3 - x}}[/tex]

We know we must find a least common denominator in order to add the fractions, so let's consider them:

We have x - 3, and we also have 3 - x.

Suppose we rewrote the first denominator as -(3 - x). In other words: x - 3 = -(3 - x)

Our denominators would then be -(3 - x) & (3 - x). Note we haven't changed the value of the denominators, we have simply rewritten them.

The fraction problem would then become:

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{7}{-(3 - x)} + \frac{1}{3 - x}}[/tex]

Note that when a minus sign is placed in a fraction, it can be placed in either the numberator or the denominator, as it does not matter. So, we can have identical denominators for the purpose of addition by simply moving the minus sign to the numberator in the first fraction:

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{-7}{3 - x} + \frac{1}{3 - x} = \frac{-6}{3 - x}}[/tex]

My question is, why is this wrong?

The book instead rewrites the OTHER denominator, and the final problem looks like this:

[tex]\displaystyle{\frac{7}{x - 3} + \frac{1}{3 - x} = \frac{7}{x - 3} + \frac{1}{-(x - 3)} = \frac{7}{x - 3} + \frac{-1}{x - 3} = \frac{6}{x - 3}}[/tex]

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You're answer is the same as the books, but you have written the minus sign on the top, and they have written it on the bottom.

DeadWolfe said:
You're answer is the same as the books, but you have written the minus sign on the top, and they have written it on the bottom.

Damn I just realized that...:shy:

Amazing how it helps to look at the whole thing on the screen like that.

Thanks!

Also, my answer had a negative term in the fraction, and theirs did not, so I guess theirs is more of the "correct" way, even if the values are in fact the same?

It's not "more correct" (not even really sure what that means!) but I personally find it more concise to write answers with the minimum number of symbols, including negative signs. Your answer is fine.

Holocene:

Let us prove that:
[tex]\frac{-a}{b}=\frac{a}{-b}=-\frac{a}{b}[/tex]

First off:
[tex]\frac{a}{b}+\frac{-a}{b}=a*\frac{1}{b}+(-a)*\frac{1}{b}=(a+(-a))*\frac{1}{b}=0*\frac{1}{b}=0[/tex]
Hence, we have: [tex]\frac{-a}{b}=-\frac{a}{b}[/tex], since by

1.definiton of -a/b, we have:
[tex]\frac{a}{b}+(-\frac{a}{b})=0[/tex]
and
2. We may prove that additive inverses are unique.

Furthermore:
[tex]\frac{a}{-b}=\frac{1*a}{(-1)*b}=\frac{1}{(-1)}*\frac{a}{b}=(-1)*\frac{a}{b}=-\frac{a}{b}[/tex]
by employing a few derivable results.

1. What are some common mistakes people make when doing simple math?

Some common mistakes people make when doing simple math include mixing up addition and multiplication operations, not following the correct order of operations, and making calculation errors due to not checking their work.

2. Why do I always get the wrong answer when doing simple math?

There could be a few reasons for consistently getting the wrong answer when doing simple math. It could be due to not understanding the concept or not following the correct steps. It could also be due to calculation errors, so it's important to double-check your work.

3. How can I improve my basic math skills?

To improve your basic math skills, practice regularly and make sure you have a solid understanding of fundamental concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. It can also be helpful to use visual aids or online resources to reinforce your understanding.

4. What is the correct order of operations in math?

The correct order of operations in math is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This order ensures that calculations are done consistently and accurately.

5. How can I avoid making mistakes in simple math?

To avoid making mistakes in simple math, it's important to take your time and double-check your work. Also, make sure you have a solid understanding of the concept and follow the correct order of operations. Practicing regularly and using visual aids can also help improve accuracy.