1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple math

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    if i have two functions |g(x)|<e, |f(x)|<=1, and i perform the following operation |g(x)|*|f(x)| will the result be |f(x)||g(x)|<e or |f(x)||g(x)|<=e

how do i even go about proving such things?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If x< a, y< b, all numbers positive, then, multiplying on both sides of the first inequality by y, xy< ay. Multiplying on both sides of the second inequality by a, ay< ab. By the transitive law, then, ax< ab.

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    Sorry, i forgot to put a question mark on the general question.
    if i understand what you are saying correctly, the result of the multiplication of |f(x)|<=1 by |g(x)|<e will be |f(x)||g(x)|<e
    not |f(x)|g(x)|<=e ?

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Suppose |f(x)|=1, the maximum it can be. Then no matter what g(x) is, you can't quite get to |f(x)||g(x)| = e

So it's a strong inequality. But you can use the weak one if you want, since it certainly is true too

6. Nov 6, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If |f(x)|<= 1 and |g(x)|< e, then |f(x)||g(x)|<= |g(x)|< e.
    |f(x)||g(x)|< e.

7. Nov 6, 2006 #6
    thank you
    for your help, all of you
    i really feel stupid for not seeing it before, i usually go off even if it takes me days to work out problems, but my mind has been awafully loaded lately
    i am really sorry for bothering you with such pettiness
    again thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?