Simple mathematical problem

1. jcsd
  2. The former.

3. Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First off, what you wrote is NOT an equation. An equation always has an = symbol in it.

The image in the link is [exp(hf/kT) - 1].

What you have written is ambiguous, as what you probably meant is this:
    $$e^{\frac{hf}{kT} - 1}$$

What you actually wrote, though, is this:
    $$e^{\frac{hf}{k}T - 1}$$

The brackets - [] - around the entire expression are unnecessary.

4. DrClaude

DrClaude 2,003
    Science Advisor

Why did you put the -1 in the exponential? The parenthesis limit the argument of exp to hf/kT.

My guess is that Mechatron did not write that himself, but saw it in a book. It's most probably related to the Planck distribution (blackbody radiation). As economicsnerd said, the correct reading is
    $$
    e^{\beta h f} - 1 \mbox{ where } \beta = \frac{1}{kT}
    $$
    The additional bracket [] might be there because it is part of a greater equation.

5. Im sorry to be off topic but I'm using a i device and i can't see (what i think to be) mathematical symbols that are in this thread... They appear as dollar signs and other randoms, i was wondering if maybe I'm short of additional download or setting adjustments. All help is highly appreciated

6. Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The posted image, which doesn't have the -1 term, doesn't match the expressions in the first post. In the first post Mechatron asks about these expressions:
    (e^(hf/kT)) - 1

and

e^( (hf/kT) - 1 )

In any case, this is moot, as Mechatron has been banned from PF.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Draft saved Draft deleted