Simplifying Square Root Equations

• Thread starter frozen7
  • Start date
In summary, to solve the equation ( 3 ((x+1)^1/2))^1/2 = (3x-5)^1/2, first square both sides, then square both sides again, and solve the resulting quadratic equation. The final solution will contain two values, but one will be invalid. To check the answers, plug them back into the original equation and discard any that do not work. The correct answer is (13+(105)^1/2)/6.
frozen7
Simple Maths Problem...:)

How to solve this equation?
( 3 ((x+1)^1/2))^1/2 = (3x-5)^1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
frozen7 said:
first, square both sides
then, square both sides again
then, solve quadratic
then check answers (discard non-solutions)

Last edited:
I can't find the correct answer in this way...the answer should be (13+(105)^1/2)/6 actually...

frozen7 said:
I can't find the correct answer in this way...the answer should be (13+(105)^1/2)/6 actually...
you'll get that answer (plus 1 other that must be discarded).
show your work if you still have trouble

Can you please show me the work? I still can't find it...thanks...

I'm not sure what you're not getting... Square both of the sides twice, and come up with the quadratic 9x^2-39x+16. The solution for this will of course contain two answers, but one will be invalid.

ya...i get this final equation...but i get the value of x= (13 +/- (233)^1/2) / 6

frozen7 said:
square first time:
3 ((x+1)^1/2) = (3x-5)
square second time:
9(x+1) = 9x^2 - 30x + 25
rearrange:
9x^2 - 39x + 16 = 0
solve quadratic:
x = (1/18)*(39 ± (1521 - 576)^(1/2))
x = (1/18)*(39 ± (945)^(1/2))
divide num & denom by 3:
x = (13 ± (105)^1/2)/6
x = 3.8745 or 0.4588
check answers in problem eq:
0.4588 - no good (discard)
3.8745 - ok

oh..thanks...just meet some mistakes...

1. What is a "Simple Maths Problem"?

A simple maths problem is a mathematical equation or question that can be solved using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division. It does not require advanced or complex mathematical concepts to solve.

2. How do I solve a simple maths problem?

To solve a simple maths problem, you need to follow the correct order of operations, which is PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction). Start by simplifying any parentheses or exponents, then move on to multiplication and division from left to right, and finally addition and subtraction from left to right.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a simple maths problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve a simple maths problem. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving the problem without a calculator. This will help you to verify the accuracy of your answer and improve your mental maths skills.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simple maths problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a simple maths problem include not following the correct order of operations, making calculation errors, misinterpreting the question, or not checking your answer for accuracy. It is important to take your time and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving simple maths problems?

The best way to improve your skills in solving simple maths problems is to practice regularly. Start with basic problems and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources, such as math problem-solving apps or websites, to enhance your understanding and speed in solving these problems.