Solving the Confusion: The Order of Operations in Basic Math Question Explained

• Thread starter trustnoone
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical expression 6/2(1+2) and the confusion surrounding its answer. The correct answer is 9, following the order of operations (BODMAS) where brackets are evaluated first, followed by division and multiplication, and then addition and subtraction. The conversation also mentions the use of other operations, such as exponentiation, which may require additional adjustments.
trustnoone
Okay I saw this on Facebook not long ago and I'm just confused with a really simple question.

The question is basically
6/2(1+2)

Now using my head I get 9, using wolfram alpha I get 9 and also Google gives me 9.

But then I place this into all 3 of my calculators I get the answer of 1.
I'm assuming this is because it does the 2(1+2) part first and then divides 6/6 to get 1.
And I also placed brackets around it to get (6/2)(1+2) which gets me the answer of 9 (thus assuming that it does do it that way).

But shouldn't the order of operations go from left to right? in terms of the multiplication and division?? Am I looking at this wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Read the sticky at the top of the general math forum.

Hey trustnoone and welcome to the forums.

In short the answer is BODMAS (Brackets Division Multiplication Addition Subtraction)

Basically evaluate all the bracketed terms first and then use the DMAS rules.

Inner brackets get evaluated before outer brackets, but in the end once you evaluate the brackets then you just evaluate the expression using the DMAS ordering.

It doesn't fail and its easy to remember :)

Also if you use things other than arithmetic (like exponentiation) then you need to adjust for that as well.

I can explain the confusion regarding the order of operations in this basic math question. The order of operations, also known as PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, Addition and Subtraction), is a set of rules that dictate the order in which mathematical operations should be performed in an equation. In this case, the confusion arises from the fact that both multiplication and division have the same level of precedence, meaning they should be performed from left to right.

In the equation 6/2(1+2), both the division and multiplication symbols are present, so the order of operations becomes crucial. According to the PEMDAS rule, we first solve the parentheses, giving us 6/2(3). Then, from left to right, we perform the multiplication and division operations, giving us 3(3) = 9. This is the correct answer, as seen from your calculations using Wolfram Alpha and Google.

However, when the equation is entered into a calculator, the calculator follows a different set of rules known as the order of operations for calculators. In this case, the calculator will perform the multiplication and division operations from left to right, giving us 6/6 = 1. This is why your calculators are giving you an answer of 1 instead of 9.

In conclusion, the confusion arises from the difference in the order of operations used in traditional mathematics and calculators. As a scientist, it is important to understand the rules and conventions used in different fields, and in this case, it is important to remember the correct order of operations when solving mathematical equations.

1. What is a simple maths question?

A simple maths question is a basic mathematical problem or equation that can be solved using basic arithmetic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. Why is it important to learn simple maths?

Learning simple maths is important because it forms the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts. It also helps with everyday tasks such as budgeting, measuring, and problem-solving.

3. How can I improve my skills in solving simple maths questions?

The best way to improve your skills in solving simple maths questions is through practice and repetition. You can also try breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and using visual aids or real-life examples to better understand the concept.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when solving simple maths questions?

Some common mistakes people make when solving simple maths questions include misreading the question, using the wrong formula or operation, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully read and understand the question and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

5. Where can I find resources to practice and improve my skills in solving simple maths questions?

There are many online resources available such as practice worksheets, interactive games, and video tutorials that can help you practice and improve your skills in solving simple maths questions. You can also consult textbooks or seek help from a math tutor or teacher.