Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple maths stuff

1. Sep 23, 2004 #1
    This seems so simple, but I can't for the life of me work it out. I've forgotten a lot of maths over the years, so I need a little help.

The question goes:

Using the substitution

[tex]u=\frac{r}{R_1}[/tex]

Show that :

[tex]\int_R^{R_1} \sqrt{\frac{R_1}{r}-1} dr = \int_\frac{R}{R_1}^1 \sqrt{\frac{1}{u}-1} du[/tex]

So, the substitution under the root is easy enough, it's just the changing of the limits that I can't seem to figure out (or perhaps remember).

I got

[tex]\frac{du}{dr}=\frac{1}{R_1}[/tex]

[tex]dr={R_1}du[/tex]

So substituting

[tex]\int_R^{R_1} \sqrt{\frac{R_1}{r}-1} dr = R_1\int_R^{R_1}\sqrt{\frac{1}{u}-1} du[/tex]

I can see that if I divide both limits by the factor outside the integral, [itex] R_1[/itex], I'll get the right answer, but surely I can't just do that.
    Any hints?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2004 #2
    The limits are r = R and r = R1. The corresponding limits after the substitution are u = R/R1 and u = 1 (since uR1 = r). The factor of R1 remains though (in your last integral). I don't see how it could disappear, but who knows...

4. Sep 23, 2004 #3
    thanks, I knew it was reasonably trivial, I just couldn't see it.

That factor of R1 is still supposed to be there though right?
    Maybe another mistake on this assignment....

I also need help with the next part, which I don't even know where to start on.

Show that in the limit [itex]\frac{R}{R_1}\rightarrow0[/itex]

[tex]\int_{\frac{R}{R_1}}^1\sqrt{\frac{1}{u}-1}du \approx \frac{\pi}{2}-\int_0^{\frac{R}{R_1}}\sqrt{\frac{1}{u}}du[/tex]

I have no bloody idea where to start, it's doing my head in! It can't be that difficult!!
    Any hints?

5. Sep 23, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\int _x^1 \sqrt {\frac {1}{u} -1} du = \int _0^1\sqrt {\frac {1}{u} -1} du - \int_0^x \sqrt {\frac {1}{u} -1} du[/tex]

The first integral is [itex]\frac {\pi}{2}[/itex] and for the second observe that
    [tex]\sqrt {\frac {1}{u} - 1} = \sqrt {\frac { 1-u}{u}}[/tex]
    and use the binomial expansion on the numerator. I think there's a factor of [itex]\frac {1}{2}[/itex] missing in the last term of your equation.

6. Sep 23, 2004 #5
    How do you just know that the first integral is [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook