1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple maths stuff

1. Sep 23, 2004 #1
    This seems so simple, but I can't for the life of me work it out. I've forgotten a lot of maths over the years, so I need a little help.

The question goes:

Using the substitution

[tex]u=\frac{r}{R_1}[/tex]

Show that :

[tex]\int_R^{R_1} \sqrt{\frac{R_1}{r}-1} dr = \int_\frac{R}{R_1}^1 \sqrt{\frac{1}{u}-1} du[/tex]

So, the substitution under the root is easy enough, it's just the changing of the limits that I can't seem to figure out (or perhaps remember).

I got

[tex]\frac{du}{dr}=\frac{1}{R_1}[/tex]

[tex]dr={R_1}du[/tex]

So substituting

[tex]\int_R^{R_1} \sqrt{\frac{R_1}{r}-1} dr = R_1\int_R^{R_1}\sqrt{\frac{1}{u}-1} du[/tex]

I can see that if I divide both limits by the factor outside the integral, [itex] R_1[/itex], I'll get the right answer, but surely I can't just do that.
    Any hints?

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2004 #2
    The limits are r = R and r = R1. The corresponding limits after the substitution are u = R/R1 and u = 1 (since uR1 = r). The factor of R1 remains though (in your last integral). I don't see how it could disappear, but who knows...

4. Sep 23, 2004 #3
    thanks, I knew it was reasonably trivial, I just couldn't see it.

That factor of R1 is still supposed to be there though right?
    Maybe another mistake on this assignment....

I also need help with the next part, which I don't even know where to start on.

Show that in the limit [itex]\frac{R}{R_1}\rightarrow0[/itex]

[tex]\int_{\frac{R}{R_1}}^1\sqrt{\frac{1}{u}-1}du \approx \frac{\pi}{2}-\int_0^{\frac{R}{R_1}}\sqrt{\frac{1}{u}}du[/tex]

I have no bloody idea where to start, it's doing my head in! It can't be that difficult!!
    Any hints?

5. Sep 23, 2004 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex]\int _x^1 \sqrt {\frac {1}{u} -1} du = \int _0^1\sqrt {\frac {1}{u} -1} du - \int_0^x \sqrt {\frac {1}{u} -1} du[/tex]

The first integral is [itex]\frac {\pi}{2}[/itex] and for the second observe that
    [tex]\sqrt {\frac {1}{u} - 1} = \sqrt {\frac { 1-u}{u}}[/tex]
    and use the binomial expansion on the numerator. I think there's a factor of [itex]\frac {1}{2}[/itex] missing in the last term of your equation.

6. Sep 23, 2004 #5
    How do you just know that the first integral is [itex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?