1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple matrix algebra

1. Jul 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is from Ryder's QFT book, second ed. page 37. At the bottom of the page it says that the commutation relations (eqn 2.68?) are satisfied by:
    [itex]K = \pm i\frac{\sigma}{2}[/itex]
    However, I do not find this to be so. What am I missing?

2. Relevant equations
    Here is one of the commutation relations that I think he means.
    [itex][K_x,K_y] = -iJ_z[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using [itex]K = i\frac{\sigma}{2}[/itex], I get:
    [itex][K_x,K_y] = [i\frac{\sigma_x}{2},i\frac{\sigma_y}{2}] = \frac{-1}{4}[\sigma_x,\sigma_y] = -\frac{1}{2}\sigma_z = iK_z \neq -iJ_z[/itex]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Isn't there an i in the commutation relations of the Pauli matrices as well?

4. Jul 24, 2007 #3

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

yep,
    [tex]
    \left[\sigma_j,\sigma_k\right]=2i\epsilon_{jkl}\sigma_l
    [/tex]

5. Jul 24, 2007 #4
    Thanks Dick. Here is the corrected attempt. I still don't get the right commutation relation.

[itex][K_x,K_y] = [i\frac{\sigma_x}{2},i\frac{\sigma_y}{2}] = \frac{-1}{4}[\sigma_x,\sigma_y] = -i\frac{\sigma_z}{2} = -K_z \neq -iJ_z[/itex]

6. Jul 24, 2007 #5

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

yes, you do get the right relation. Ryder is talking about (2-component) Pauli spinors for which [tex]J_z=\frac{\sigma_z}{2}[/tex].

Look at equation (2.74). That is a boost and a rotation of a 2-component spinor where the rotation generator is
    [tex]\frac{\vec \sigma}{2}[/tex] and the boost generator is [tex]i\frac{\vec \sigma}{2}[/tex].

7. Jul 25, 2007 #6
    Thanks olgranpappy, your reply is what I needed. If I make the substitutions [tex]K = i\frac{\sigma}{2}[/tex] and [tex]J = \frac{\sigma}{2}[/tex], then I get:

[tex][K_x,K_y] = [i\frac{\sigma_x}{2},i\frac{\sigma_y}{2}] = -i\frac{\sigma_z}{2} = -iJ_z[/tex] just as in (2.68)

I have also verified the other relations in (2.68). I came close to solving it this morning as I was driving to work. It occured to me that there might be a typo in the book and that the author meant J instead of K in eqn (2.69). If I had followed that thought a while longer, I might have come up with the solution on my own. Thanks again for your help.

8. Jul 25, 2007 #7

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

no problem. cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?