Proving Orthogonality: Simple Matrix Question with Skew-Symmetric A"

• Thread starter the4thamigo_uk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
I - A)' = (I + A) we can see that X and Y are indeed orthogonal.In summary, the conversation discusses proving the orthogonality of (I - A) . inv(I + A), where A is a skew-symmetric matrix and (I + A) is singular. The attempt at a solution involves using the properties of inverse and transpose matrices to show that X = I - A and Y = inv(I + A) are orthogonal. The conversation ends with the realization that (I - A)' = (I + A), proving the orthogonality of X and Y.
the4thamigo_uk

Homework Statement

Prove that if A is skew-symmetric (i.e. A = -A') then

(I - A) . inv(I + A)

is orthogonal, assuming that (I + A) is singular. inv(X) denotes inverse matrix of X. X' denotes transpose of X.

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to prove orthogonality :

I know for square matrices : inv(XY) = inv(Y) . inv(X) and (XY)' = Y'X'

So if X and Y were orthogonal then XY would be.

But in this case X = I - A and Y = inv(I + A), but are they orthogonal?

I also know that (I - A)' = (I + A)

But can't figure it out. Do I have to resort to the defn of inv(X) = adj(X) / det(X) ?

Would appreciate any clues... Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Aha stupid me... I now note that inv(X)' = inv(X')

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is often used to represent and manipulate data in mathematics, statistics, and computer science.

2. How do you add or subtract matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, they must have the same dimensions. Simply add or subtract corresponding elements in each matrix to create a new matrix with the same dimensions.

3. What is the identity matrix?

An identity matrix is a square matrix with 1s on the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. When multiplied by another matrix, it behaves like the number 1 in ordinary multiplication.

4. Can you multiply any two matrices together?

No, in order to multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must be equal to the number of rows in the second matrix. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix.

5. How is matrix multiplication different from ordinary multiplication?

In matrix multiplication, the order of multiplication matters. Also, the product of two matrices may not have the same dimension as the original matrices, whereas in ordinary multiplication, the product has the same dimension as the original numbers.