Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Measurement of Atomic Nuclei Radii

1. Mar 16, 2004 #1
    Okay, we have a graph that shows how v.high energy electrons are diffracted by atomic nuclei and the first minimum is shown to be at approximately 51 degrees for carbon-12 with energy 420MeV. To calculate the nuclear radii I decided to use sin(theta)= 1.22lambda/d and rearranged this so d was the subject of the eq. To work out lamba I used lamba= h/sqrt(2mE). Then to finally calculate the radius of this nucelus, I used R=d/2. However, I've ended up with an answer x10^-14 (and almost x10^-13).

Can someone please tell me what's wrong with this? I've used m as the mass of an electron and put the energy into joules so I've got 420x10^6x1.6x10^-19 J

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2004 #2
    I've checked my textbook and it says I'm using the right formulae so I really don't understand why I'm not getting my answer to x10^-15. Can anyone spot an error in what I've written above? Thanks.:smile:

4. Mar 21, 2004 #3
    How can you use Rayleigh's criterion here with such a large angle? I thought it could only be used for tiny resolving angles?

5. Mar 21, 2004 #4
    Beta Scattering...

Electron Wavelength:
    [tex]\lambda_e = \frac{h}{ \sqrt{2m_eE}}[/tex]

Scattering Criterion:
    [tex]d \sin \Theta = m \lambda[/tex]

[tex]d = \frac{mh}{ \sin \Theta \sqrt{2m_eE}}[/tex]

[tex]d = 2r_n[/tex]

[tex]r_n = \frac{mh}{ 2 \sin \Theta \sqrt{2m_eE}}[/tex]

First minimum intensity:
    [tex]m = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]r_n = \frac{h}{ 4 \sin \Theta \sqrt{2m_eE}}[/tex]

rn = 1.925*10^-14 m

[tex]\lambda_e < d[/tex]

[tex]\lambda_e[/tex] = 5.984*10^-14 m
    d = 7.7*10^-14 m

Claire84, these equasions cannot resolve the radius of a nucleus unless the electron wavelength here ([tex]\lambda_e[/tex] = 5.984*10^-14 m) is less than the diameter of a nucleus, here dn = 5.5*10^-15 m.

Electron nuclear resolution criterion:
    [tex]\lambda_e \leq d_n[/tex]

Orion1-Claire Criterion:
    [tex]\sin \Theta \sqrt{E} = \frac{mh}{ 2 r_0 \sqrt[3]{A_n} \sqrt{2m_e}}[/tex]
    r0 = 1.2*10^-15 m
    An - target mass (amu)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?