1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Mechanical Questions

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A) A circular rod is subjected to a bending moment of 315Nm. What is the minimum diameter of the rod required so that the maximum stress does not exceed 200N/mm2?

B) If the Modulus of Elasticity for the material from which the rod is made of is 100kN/mm2, what radius will the rod be deformed to when stressed to the maximum allowable?

2. Relevant equations

A) [itex]\frac{M}{I}[/itex] = σ

B) [itex]\frac{M}{σ]}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{ρ]}{E]}[/itex]

Second moment of Area for a circle of diameter d, about its Neutral Axis is [itex]\frac{∏d}{64}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

A) M=314N/m
    σ=200MN/m2
    I=[itex]\frac{∏d]}{64}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{314}{[itex]\frac{∏d}{64}[/itex]}[/itex]=200×106

d=0.0752m

B) M=413Nm
    E=100GN/m2
    σ=200MN/m2

[itex]\frac{314}{200×106}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{ρ}{100×109}[/itex]

ρ=157,000m (Ridiculous answer, I know)

I haven't done mechanics in a while, so I was wondering if someone could double check that I'm on the right track.

Chuur Chuur

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2012 #2
    Bending stress is Mc/I not M/I. Check your units.

4. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    But how would that formula work though?

I wouldn't be able to solve for c, since I'm asked to find the diameter. If I substitute that in, then I'd have [itex]\frac{M\frac{d}{2}}{\frac{∏d}{64}}[/itex]=σ

where c = [itex]\frac{d}{2}[/itex]

5. Apr 19, 2012 #4
    You are provided with the bending moment and the maximum stress. You can easily determine diameter from that information. The formula you have above is missing an exponent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook