Light, Secure Board Clamping Without Screws

• Thread starter malek340
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanism
In summary, you can use a retaining ring to fix the blue strips to the curved surface of the grey cylinder.
malek340
Hey basically I'm trying to find a light and small mechanism that is able to clamp up/fasten two board/plank together in a simple way without the use of screws. I'm trying to connect an acrylic board with the right suitable size on the base of the design. Do anyone have a thought on this? I have been searching through lots of catalogs but couldn't find anything right...

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 541
Engineering news on Phys.org

If you'll never have to disassemble it, how about a good adhesive such as Gorilla Glue?

You could glue it.

I need it to disassembled. Have anyone seen a mechanism that work like that?

Could you use a retaining ring?

I'm sorry I don't understand your picture.

Do you mean you want to fix the blue strips to the curved surface of the grey cylinder?

If so
Can you fix permanent taper guides to the cylinder surface and taper the blue strips so that they can be driven home to a tight friction fit, yet be disassembleable?
You can obtain substantial fixing power with a very slight taper.

The blue strips is actually the base of the cylinder that i highlighted. I want a flat board(not in the picture) to be tighted and fastened on the base without the use of any scew and can be disassembled/taken out easily.

I still don't understand what you want to fix to what, however a taper or sprung plastic clip locked interlock could surely be fashioned.

How about a proper drawing?

It would be helpful to know the dimensions. How thick is that bottom plate?

What is the proplem with using screws?

Both Integral and Studiot raise a couple of good questions. The scale is quite important to what sort of device might be appropriate. While I quite like the diagram, I'm uncertain of something about it. It seems to indicate that the secondary floor plate is to go inside the cylinder, while your text explanation suggests that it is to be added to the outside.
If the former is correct, I'm thinking along the line of an "inside snap ring" sort of deal. Mill a groove around the cylinder and run a wire bead along it just above the inner plate.

I must apologize to Q. It's too late to edit my last post. I somehow failed to notice your suggestion of a retaining ring, well in advance of my own. Sorry, pal.

Richco makes a series of nylon fasteners that are in two parts. The outer is a rivet with a split collet which fits into your hole. The second piece is a pin that inserts into the head of the rivet causing the bottom to spread open, pulling the two pieces together.

You can remove the rivet by first lifting the pin and then by wiggling the rivet out.
You can generally reuse the rivet by squeezing it together and pressing it back into the hole.

That's cool, Mike. It's somewhat similar to the "drywall anchors" that I use for hanging stuff on my walls without having to nail into a stud. Thanks for the link.

1. What is "Light, Secure Board Clamping Without Screws"?

"Light, Secure Board Clamping Without Screws" is a method of securing boards or other materials without the use of traditional screws or fasteners. It involves using a system of magnets and clips to hold the materials in place, providing a secure and lightweight solution for clamping.

2. How does "Light, Secure Board Clamping Without Screws" work?

This method works by using strong magnets to hold the boards or materials in place, while clips are used to apply pressure and keep them secure. The magnets are strategically placed around the edges of the materials, allowing for even and reliable clamping.

3. Is "Light, Secure Board Clamping Without Screws" a safe method?

Yes, this method is safe as long as proper precautions are taken. It is important to use high-quality magnets and ensure they are securely attached to the materials. It is also recommended to wear protective gear and handle the materials with care to avoid any accidents.

4. What are the benefits of using "Light, Secure Board Clamping Without Screws"?

One of the main benefits of this method is its lightweight design. Traditional clamping methods using screws or fasteners can be heavy and cumbersome, while this method allows for easy and quick setup. It also eliminates the risk of damaging the materials with screws or other fasteners.

5. Can "Light, Secure Board Clamping Without Screws" be used for all types of materials?

This method can be used for a variety of materials, including wood, metal, and plastic. However, it is important to ensure that the materials are compatible with magnets and that the magnets are strong enough to hold them securely.