Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple mechanism that is able to clamp/fasten two boards without the use of screws

1. Jul 6, 2012 #1
    Hey basically i'm trying to find a light and small mechanism that is able to clamp up/fasten two board/plank together in a simple way without the use of screws. I'm trying to connect an acrylic board with the right suitable size on the base of the design. Do anyone have a thought on this? I have been searching through lots of catalogs but couldn't find anything right...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2012 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Re: Simple mechanism that is able to clamp/fasten two boards without the use of screw

If you'll never have to disassemble it, how about a good adhesive such as Gorilla Glue?

4. Jul 6, 2012 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Simple mechanism that is able to clamp/fasten two boards without the use of screw

You could glue it.

5. Jul 7, 2012 #4

I need it to disassembled. Have anyone seen a mechanism that work like that?

6. Jul 7, 2012 #5

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Could you use a retaining ring?

7. Jul 7, 2012 #6

I'm sorry I don't understand your picture.

Do you mean you want to fix the blue strips to the curved surface of the grey cylinder?

If so
    Can you fix permanent taper guides to the cylinder surface and taper the blue strips so that they can be driven home to a tight friction fit, yet be disassembleable?
    You can obtain substantial fixing power with a very slight taper.

8. Jul 7, 2012 #7

The blue strips is actually the base of the cylinder that i highlighted. I want a flat board(not in the picture) to be tighted and fastened on the base without the use of any scew and can be disassembled/taken out easily.

9. Jul 8, 2012 #8

I still don't understand what you want to fix to what, however a taper or sprung plastic clip locked interlock could surely be fashioned.

How about a proper drawing?

10. Jul 8, 2012 #9

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be helpful to know the dimensions. How thick is that bottom plate?

What is the proplem with using screws?

11. Jul 9, 2012 #10

Danger

Gold Member

Both Integral and Studiot raise a couple of good questions. The scale is quite important to what sort of device might be appropriate. While I quite like the diagram, I'm uncertain of something about it. It seems to indicate that the secondary floor plate is to go inside the cylinder, while your text explanation suggests that it is to be added to the outside.
    If the former is correct, I'm thinking along the line of an "inside snap ring" sort of deal. Mill a groove around the cylinder and run a wire bead along it just above the inner plate.

12. Jul 11, 2012 #11

Danger

Gold Member

I must apologize to Q. It's too late to edit my last post. I somehow failed to notice your suggestion of a retaining ring, well in advance of my own. Sorry, pal.

13. Jul 12, 2012 #12

Richco makes a series of nylon fasteners that are in two parts. The outer is a rivet with a split collet which fits into your hole. The second piece is a pin that inserts into the head of the rivet causing the bottom to spread open, pulling the two pieces together.

You can remove the rivet by first lifting the pin and then by wiggling the rivet out.
    You can generally reuse the rivet by squeezing it together and pressing it back into the hole.

14. Jul 15, 2012 #13

Danger

Gold Member

That's cool, Mike. It's somewhat similar to the "drywall anchors" that I use for hanging stuff on my walls without having to nail into a stud. Thanks for the link.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook