1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Metric Question

1. Jan 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X be a metric space with metric d. Show that the space X, where distance is measured by d' = d/(1+d), is also a metric space.

2. Relevant equations

Three requirements of a distance function for X to be a metric space:
    1. d(x,y) = 0 <=> x=y
    2. d(y,x) = d(x,y)
    3. d(x,z) <= d(x,y) + d(y,z)

3. The attempt at a solution

It's demonstrating the triangle inequality (3. above) that has me stumped.

My starting point is to try and use (1) d(x,z) <= d(x,y) + d(y,z) to demonstrate (2) d'(x,z) <= d'(x,y) + d'(y,z).

I tried manipulating the RHS of (2) to get a common denominator and then tried to 'bash' it out, without any success. I then tried to manipulate the inequalities, but I can't get (2) whilst maintaining <= as opposed to simply <.

The problem wasn't set as a difficult one, so I presume there is something simple that I can't seem to see.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2010 #2
    Hmmm your first approach should work (I remember it worked for me). Define [itex]f(t) = \frac{1}{1+t}.[/itex] You basically need to show [itex]f(a) + f(b) \geq f(c)[/itex] given [itex]a + b \geq c \geq 0.[/itex] Multiplying out the first inequality gives
    [tex]a + ac + ab + abc + b + ba + bc + abc \geq c + ca + cb + abc,[/tex]
    and yeah this should be true unless I made a mistake somewhere.

4. Jan 17, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the help, I think that sorts it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook