Understanding Simple Molecular Structures in Chemistry

In summary, simple molecular structures are molecules composed of a fixed number of atoms bonded by strong covalent bonds. Examples include water and CO2, but not DNA as it forms long chains. The definition of "simple" is not clearly defined and may vary depending on the context.
Barclay

Homework Statement

What are simple molecular structures?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Simple molecular structures consist of molecules containing fixed numbers of atoms joined by strong covalent bonds.

I'm getting confused with all the different structures in chemistry. How simple is simple?Simple molecular structures are : water, CO2 because they are not forming long chains as in diamond.

What about DNA? I think saw somewhere that DNA is a simple strucure (i may be wrong). Is it simple because the chians are a fixed size?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get this from?

DrDu said:
Where did you get this from?

Barclay said:

What about DNA? I think saw somewhere that DNA is a simple strucure (i may be wrong). Is it simple because the chians are a fixed size?

Dr Du I got that bit wrong ... I don't know what I was thinking. I just got confused with something about simple molecules have a fixed number of atoms.

But how simple is simple, for a molecule to be called a simple structure?

I don't think this is a rigidly defined expression. That's why I was asking about the context.

What are simple molecular structures?

Simple molecular structures are chemical structures that consist of a few atoms bonded together through covalent bonds. They are typically smaller and less complex than other types of molecules.

What is the difference between simple molecular structures and complex molecular structures?

The main difference between simple and complex molecular structures is the number of atoms and the complexity of the bonds. Simple molecular structures have fewer atoms and simpler bonds, while complex molecular structures have more atoms and more intricate bonding arrangements.

What are some examples of simple molecular structures?

Some common examples of simple molecular structures include water (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), and methane (CH4). These molecules consist of only a few atoms bonded together.

How are simple molecular structures different from giant molecular structures?

Simple molecular structures are different from giant molecular structures in terms of the size and bonding. Simple molecular structures have a smaller size and weaker bonds, while giant molecular structures are much larger and have stronger bonds.

What are the properties of simple molecular structures?

Simple molecular structures have a low melting and boiling point, are usually gases or liquids at room temperature, and are poor conductors of electricity. They also tend to have weaker intermolecular forces compared to other types of molecules.