Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Simple Moment Question

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1
    A uniform rod AB, of mass 5lb, is hinged at upper end A and hangs down freely. What horizontal force applied at B will be required in order to deflect the rod through 30 degrees from the vertical. Thanks.
    My attempt: taking moments about A, Fcos30xAB = wxAC = wcos30xAB/2 therefore F = w/2. F= applied horizontal force, w = weight.A 2nd question what does "a gauge of 56.5 ins" mean in rhe context of a railway line?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful. Note that the weight acts vertically, so its moment should have a sin30, not a cos30.

The inner distance between the rails.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  4. Mar 20, 2006 #3
    I would take a second look and the Fcos30xAB. Shouldn't it be sin to get the correct length of the normal distance?

5. Mar 20, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Actually, that part is correct, since the force is applied horizontally. But the moment due to the weight should be Wsin30xAB/2, not Wcos30xAB/2. My bad, for not reading carefully. :redface: I'll revise my comments in the original post.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook