1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Moment Question

1. Mar 20, 2006 #1
    A uniform rod AB, of mass 5lb, is hinged at upper end A and hangs down freely. What horizontal force applied at B will be required in order to deflect the rod through 30 degrees from the vertical. Thanks.
    My attempt: taking moments about A, Fcos30xAB = wxAC = wcos30xAB/2 therefore F = w/2. F= applied horizontal force, w = weight.A 2nd question what does "a gauge of 56.5 ins" mean in rhe context of a railway line?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Careful. Note that the weight acts vertically, so its moment should have a sin30, not a cos30.

The inner distance between the rails.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
  4. Mar 20, 2006 #3
    I would take a second look and the Fcos30xAB. Shouldn't it be sin to get the correct length of the normal distance?

5. Mar 20, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Actually, that part is correct, since the force is applied horizontally. But the moment due to the weight should be Wsin30xAB/2, not Wcos30xAB/2. My bad, for not reading carefully. :redface: I'll revise my comments in the original post.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?