1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple momentum question

1. Mar 9, 2007 #1
    So, we were given a scenario and were asked to not calculate the momentum components in the x- directions. We were asked to use the simple formula of momentum(p) p=mv. Velocity was the root of the distance between the collisions and the mass was 1 unit. No specific units are to be used in these calculations. The question asks us to calculate momentum in the y-direction after being given specific angles. What's the difference between the distance and the y- component again?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2007 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It'll be easier for someone to answer if you state the exact question you are trying to solve, along with the work you have done on it (i.e. what you have calculated)
  4. Mar 9, 2007 #3
    1st scenario:
    v= square root d= 3.1
    I dunno how to calculate the y-components of momentum considering on an x-y plane, d is 34 degrees north of west. What I calculated was 9.4sin34 to get the y components but I can't shake the feeling that I might be wrong

2nd scenario, same as first but different numbers
    d is 94 degrees east of north
  5. Mar 9, 2007 #4
    Could you state the whole question as given. It is quite confusing to me now.
  6. Mar 10, 2007 #5
    don't worry, my prof explained and it now makes sense, thanx tho
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?