1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Natural log graph?

1. Nov 6, 2009 #1
    1. Graphing Carefully: Sketch f(x)= 10(ln(ln(x))/ln(x) accurately using calculus, your calculator, or both to aid you. Make sure to include all vertical asymptotes, as well as local extrema

2. f(x)= 10(ln(ln(x))/ln(x)

3. OK. I might come across as stupid but here goes... I don't know what to do. I looked at the graph and figured 'what is there to show?' besides a VA. So I came up with VA=1, x-intercept=2.71828, and the local max is (15.1543, 3.67879. But how do I get this with calculus? I solved for f'(x) but I do not know how to work this stuff to find/prove the max and increasing/decreasing, concavity,etc. HELP, please. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You can do all of this without a graphing calculator. For the vertical asymptote, where is the denominator zero? For x-intercepts, where is the numerator zero? For max value/min value, where is the derivative of the function zero? For where the function is increasing/decreasing, where is the derivative positive/negative? For where the function is concave up/concave down, where is the 2nd derivative positive/negative?

4. Nov 6, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the reply Mark44.

I worked it out! I think I made it harder that it was... a lot harder than it was.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook