1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple net resistance problem

1. Feb 19, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

https://wcl.unr.edu/bbcswebdav/pid-634340-dt-content-rid-2875167_1/xid-2875167_1

So I am given the above image, and I am told to calculate the voltage in the circuit.

2. Relevant equations

V = IR
    R_net = (1/R_1 + 1/R_2 + ... + 1/R_n)^-1 for parallel resistors

3. The attempt at a solution

So with a lot of these sort of problems, my biggest challenge is redrawing the circuit into something that I can more intuitively understand. However, I'm having a fair bit of trouble understanding what exactly is going on here - would the open wires with no resistors produce short circuits?

Once I can find the net resistance, the problem is straightforward: V = IR and plug and chug.

Turns out that if I treat all three resistors as in parallel I get the right answer, but I cant figure out how the above diagram could be converted into a simple 3 resistors in parallel.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

4. Feb 19, 2016 #3
  5. Feb 19, 2016 #4

gneill

It is preferable to UPLOAD an image and make it visible in the thread so that helpers do not have to follow a link in order to see it.
    upload_2016-2-19_9-41-49.png

6. Feb 19, 2016 #5

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Remove the middle 30Ω. What do you get?

7. Feb 19, 2016 #6

NascentOxygen

Starting at terminal 'a', use different coloured pencils to trace each independent path that current can follow to get to 'b'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted