1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Newton's Rings problem

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If the apparatus for showing Newton's rings is illuminated with light at 6250 A (angstroms), what thickness of film underlies each of the first three light rings?

2. Relevant equations

2D (the thickness of the film) equals a multiple of 1/2 of a wavelength
    1 angstrom = 1 x 10^-10 wavelength

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't see how the angstroms connect to the fact that the thickness must be a multiple of 1/2.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Generally Newton's Rings are formed when light is reflected off of a hemispherical lens resting on a sheet of glass. So I don't know what you mean by "film"--there is a space between the lens and the glass sheet.

In any case, the phase difference (for constructive interference) must be an odd multiple of 1/2 wavelength, not just 1/2.

4. Apr 24, 2008 #3
    I apologize for not clarifying wavelength, but I intended to. As for the film, I believe it means some form of glass, but its not really relevant to the solution of my problem.

5. Apr 24, 2008 #4

Doc Al

Do you still have a question?

6. Apr 24, 2008 #5
    Yes, I dont see a way to connect the 6250 angstroms and the fact that each wavelength must be a multiple of a half. There must be some equation I'm missing, but I just can't figure out the problem.

7. Apr 24, 2008 #6

Doc Al

That's not quite right.

6250 Angstroms is the wavelength; 2D must be an odd multiple of 1/2 wavelength.

An Angstrom is just a unit of length. 1 Angstrom [itex]= 10^{-10}[/itex] meters.

8. Apr 24, 2008 #7
    OK, but how can I use that information (the angstroms) to figure out the thickness for the first three light rings?

9. Apr 24, 2008 #8

Doc Al

By setting 2D equal to the first three odd integer multiples of 1/2 wavelength. (Solve for D.)

10. Apr 24, 2008 #9
    Aha, thank you, I appreciate your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?