Newton's Rings Problem: Determining Thickness of Film for 6250 A Light Rings

• Thread starter Jason+Strife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rings
In summary, the wavelength of light used in the apparatus for showing Newton's rings is 6250 angstroms and the thickness of the film underlying each of the first three light rings can be calculated by setting 2D equal to the first three odd integer multiples of 1/2 wavelength and solving for D.
Jason+Strife

Homework Statement

If the apparatus for showing Newton's rings is illuminated with light at 6250 A (angstroms), what thickness of film underlies each of the first three light rings?

Homework Equations

2D (the thickness of the film) equals a multiple of 1/2 of a wavelength
1 angstrom = 1 x 10^-10 wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't see how the angstroms connect to the fact that the thickness must be a multiple of 1/2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Generally Newton's Rings are formed when light is reflected off of a hemispherical lens resting on a sheet of glass. So I don't know what you mean by "film"--there is a space between the lens and the glass sheet.

In any case, the phase difference (for constructive interference) must be an odd multiple of 1/2 wavelength, not just 1/2.

I apologize for not clarifying wavelength, but I intended to. As for the film, I believe it means some form of glass, but its not really relevant to the solution of my problem.

Do you still have a question?

Jason+Strife said:

Homework Statement

If the apparatus for showing Newton's rings is illuminated with light at 6250 A (angstroms), what thickness of film underlies each of the first three light rings?

Homework Equations

2D (the thickness of the film) equals a multiple of 1/2 of a wavelength
1 angstrom = 1 x 10^-10 wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't see how the angstroms connect to the fact that the thickness must be a multiple of 1/2.
Yes, I don't see a way to connect the 6250 angstroms and the fact that each wavelength must be a multiple of a half. There must be some equation I'm missing, but I just can't figure out the problem.

Jason+Strife said:
Yes, I don't see a way to connect the 6250 angstroms and the fact that each wavelength must be a multiple of a half.
That's not quite right.

6250 Angstroms is the wavelength; 2D must be an odd multiple of 1/2 wavelength.

An Angstrom is just a unit of length. 1 Angstrom [itex]= 10^{-10}[/itex] meters.

OK, but how can I use that information (the angstroms) to figure out the thickness for the first three light rings?

Jason+Strife said:
OK, but how can I use that information (the angstroms) to figure out the thickness for the first three light rings?
By setting 2D equal to the first three odd integer multiples of 1/2 wavelength. (Solve for D.)

Aha, thank you, I appreciate your help.

What is the "Simple Newton's Rings problem"?

The "Simple Newton's Rings problem" refers to a phenomenon in optics where a pattern of concentric rings is formed when a plano-convex lens is placed on a flat glass surface. This results from the interference of light waves reflected from the two surfaces.

What causes the formation of Newton's Rings?

The formation of Newton's Rings is caused by the interference of light waves. When light is reflected from two surfaces, such as the surface of a plano-convex lens and a flat glass surface, the waves interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of concentric rings.

What are the applications of the Simple Newton's Rings problem?

The Simple Newton's Rings problem has various applications in optics, including measuring the flatness of surfaces, determining the refractive index of liquids, and calibrating optical instruments.

How can the radius of curvature of a lens be determined using Newton's Rings?

The radius of curvature of a lens can be determined by measuring the diameter of the central dark spot in the Newton's Rings pattern. The larger the diameter, the smaller the radius of curvature, and vice versa.

What factors affect the appearance of Newton's Rings?

The appearance of Newton's Rings can be affected by various factors, such as the wavelength of light, the thickness of the air gap between the lens and the glass surface, and the angle of incidence of the light. The material and surface quality of the lens and glass can also affect the pattern.